The Shop > Our Shop

Magic Vortex Tube !

(1/3) > >>

awemawson:
This brand new 208-25 Vortex Tube made by ITW Vortec in the USA drifted past my nose on eBay at a very low 'buy it now' price (£20)  and it seemed rude not to oblige  :lol:

Now I've seen write ups of these things, and I've seen descriptions of home made ones, but I've never seen and played with one in the flesh - probably because I have absolutely NO need for one - but I do like seeing how things work - it's all a mind expanding process  :med:

Today was a bit of a quiet day, so a bit of play time allowed me to experiment - firstly here it is, along with it's description from the makers

awemawson:
So the obvious question - does it work !

Well yes - a quick plumb into an airline while holding it shows that's perhaps not a good idea for a longer test - the hot end got warm very quickly  :ddb:

So a rough and ready test with the two exits pointing at some 50 mm squares of 9 mm plate that I happened to have on the desk, propped up with adjustable spanners let me point my infra-red thermometer at them.

After just a couple of minutes, from an ambient of 18 degrees Centigrade, the cold plate was down to 6 degrees and the hot one up to 35 degrees.

A very crude test, and no doubt the temperatures would be much more extreme if I left it going for a while, as the 50 mm squares each had a bit of a heat sink on them in the form of the adjustable spanners

In all, very interesting that plain old compressed air can heat and cool at the same time by twirling in a fancy shape !

PekkaNF:
We used them to cool electronics in the tropics....produced an water shower if the air was not dried :lol:

Other end gets really hot when adjusted right and if the ambient temperature is high.

I wonder how it would work on grinding machine? There low efficiency does not matter on hobby use. So what if 5 kw produces only a little cooling, but it is small easy to manouver unit.

Pekka

awemawson:
...... I do air driers .....  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PekkaNF:
Jeah..I have been following that with interest. Just wondering: Plasma, voortex....what next? Air bearing spindle?

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version