Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Horizontal or not?

(1/3) > >>

shipto:
I am in the process  (among all the other stuff) of building a milling machine. I am currently working on the mast of it and can't decide if I should add a bit of tube which would give me the chance to add horizontal capabilities in the future. Just how useful is horizontal? Does it allow you to do much that you can't with vertical?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Jo:
You can't line bore with a vertical like a horizontal (but you can with a lathe) ...

You can cut big gears using a horizontal and a rotary table  :thumbup:

Jo

John Rudd:

--- Quote from: Jo on March 09, 2017, 09:56:22 AM ---You can't line bore with a vertical like a horizontal (but you can with a lathe) ...

You can cut big gears using a horizontal and a rotary table  :thumbup:

Jo

--- End quote ---

I bet I could line bore with my 626 mill......boring bar held in the collet chuck, a live centre anchored to the table, work piece fastened to angle plate, secured to table as well....then use the knee Z axis to move the whole lot in relation to the cutting tool.....
Jo, do you think its doable? ( yes easier I guess with a H mill)

I think a v mill is more versatile than its counter part....but then I also think its down to physical size of machine too......

shipto:
So there are advantages in which case that solves my dilemma I will put the necessary bits in for future use

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

awemawson:
Horizontal mills are often far more rigid with the arbor supported at both ends - I used to have an old Cincinnati horizontal that was superb at hogging out - made making my Dickson T2 holders so much easier. I just produced a slab of the V profiles, sliced it into length then jigged them for cutting the tool slot. It would have been a much more lengthy exercise on the Bridgeport.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version