Author Topic: FINGER PLATE BUILD HOLDING SMALL PARTS TO MACHINE  (Read 517 times)

Offline ieezitin

FINGER PLATE BUILD HOLDING SMALL PARTS TO MACHINE
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »
Hello lads and lasses..

been wanting to build myself a finger plate for yonks now so I went off to the scrap bin and dragged out some material, first to be salvaged was this chunk of stainless plate, i whipped it into shape on the shaper, still on the shaper I profiled the v-groove and drilled the punch hole on the mill, i was in an adventurous mood so i applied some engine turning on it as i want it to look posh and to keep with a particular theme.

I made the finger itself from ally but will make one in steel I just needed something now so i can use it, its being designed as i go along but there are a couple of features I want included in it such as a work stop and on the same arm i want a scribe block for quick marking out on the surface plate using a scale, I like the look of old Victorian era design in tooling and i will do my best in giving that appearance.

I started on the scribe / depth stop arm but that's where I have stopped will carry on through the week... Enjoy and all the Best.. Anthony.

If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Online SwarfnStuff

Re: FINGER PLATE BUILD HOLDING SMALL PARTS TO MACHINE
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:03:00 AM »
Looking Good Anthony,
          One of those is on my Roundtuit list. Clickspring on YouTube has video of making his. Naturally, being him it is in brass.
Link here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgBM-JVRWgU 
His channel is well worth a visit, one of my favourites.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:12 AM »
Very neat, nicely made, and no doubt will be a useful addition to the armoury. It's one of those things that I associate with clock making, but in reality has a far wider application.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mechman48

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 06:20:04 AM »
Nicely done; another useful 'to have ' item,used to teach apprentices with this as one of their NVQ2 early stage projects. made one myself when I was apprentice but as with other stuff made, got lost with the sands of time.   :clap:
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »
Oh, that's far too pretty to actually use. :P

If you add a central narrow slot to the bottom plate, you can also use that to hold very small parts and safely cut them on the bandsaw.  I use a much more "utilitarian looking" one for exactly this purpose.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »
Sparky.

great idea will put this in the design.

Here i am making the locking block for the swivel for the depth stop / scribe arm.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 10:10:46 AM »
Its time to mill the male slot onto the swivel arm housing and mill the female slot on the plate

You may have noticed i like using fixture plates, I like to build my operations on a surface plate on the bench while sitting on a stool, situated around me on the bench  I have trays full of bolts, shims, packer blocks and washers, as i build the operation i use the right angle fixture to square off to the surface plate, once its built i can confidently take the build to the mill knowing all i have to do is square it off to either x or y axis. but its biggest advantage is you can hold awkward small parts and perform tight machining operations.

I took sparky's suggestion and made the slot the complete length of the plate.

Ever onward... Anthony.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 07:43:07 PM »
Made time to do some lathe work today, I wanted to do some off center turning making a cam so i decided to make the finger handle off=set then apply a knurl to it, since this needed to be applied in the 4 jaw and I did not want to put jaw marks into it i so I made soft jaws out of aluminium strips for in-between shims to stop the marring.

we are getting close to finished... All the best.. Anthony..

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 07:48:14 PM »
This is how far i got today...