The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Summer on it's way

(1/3) > >>

Joules:
Still killing time waiting for the workshop to be usable again...   My other half had a big session baking, so I got the washing up this morning.   Summer-ish no stove, so no hot water.

Break out the Kelly Kettle, coffee and boiled eggs for starters, then 5 loads of hot water to do the washing up and a couple of flasks of hot water for later.  Bit rusty lighting the kettle, but it's been a while since I used it in anger.  Makes for an enjoyable start to the day....  Playing with fire and an axe.

awemawson:
I love the way that the web site for Kelly Kettles has a big banner saying "No Fuel Required", then immediately underneath says "Using only a handful of fuel"

https://www.kellykettle.com

They've often seemed a 'jolly good idea' - do they work out ok in practice Joules?

So are you 'off grid' or is this just in your workshop ?

S. Heslop:
Summer might be on its way but i'm still waiting for a day where it looks like it isn't liable to rain at a moment's notice so I can try some casting.

Joules:
Not off grid, but can still function if the grid goes down.  Kelly Kettles work really well if you need hot water out in the field.  You generally need something to get them lit, paper, bit of oily rag unless your tinder is dry.  Once going they do roaring flame out the top and can be kept going with twigs, whatever you can lay your hands on.  Add a cross support on top and you can double duty cooking on it too.

I have couple here, the stainless one above and an older aluminium one.  They must be 10yrs old or more.  Always carry one in the car if we travel.

They are a bit like owning an old Tilley lamp, a must have if you enjoy the outdoors life.  Just watch where you use a Kelly Kettle, they will leave a scortched circle if used on grass.  Won't make you popular at a campsite.

howsitwork?:
great gadget but ( from memory ) outside gets a bit hot too so using handle / gloves is essential.

Good fun though and always causes a stir- what's that for then? How's it work etc...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version