Author Topic: Summer on it's way  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Joules

Summer on it's way
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »
Still killing time waiting for the workshop to be usable again...   My other half had a big session baking, so I got the washing up this morning.   Summer-ish no stove, so no hot water.

Break out the Kelly Kettle, coffee and boiled eggs for starters, then 5 loads of hot water to do the washing up and a couple of flasks of hot water for later.  Bit rusty lighting the kettle, but it's been a while since I used it in anger.  Makes for an enjoyable start to the day....  Playing with fire and an axe.

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Summer on it's way
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:00:04 AM »
I love the way that the web site for Kelly Kettles has a big banner saying "No Fuel Required", then immediately underneath says "Using only a handful of fuel"

https://www.kellykettle.com

They've often seemed a 'jolly good idea' - do they work out ok in practice Joules?

So are you 'off grid' or is this just in your workshop ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »
Summer might be on its way but i'm still waiting for a day where it looks like it isn't liable to rain at a moment's notice so I can try some casting.

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
Not off grid, but can still function if the grid goes down.  Kelly Kettles work really well if you need hot water out in the field.  You generally need something to get them lit, paper, bit of oily rag unless your tinder is dry.  Once going they do roaring flame out the top and can be kept going with twigs, whatever you can lay your hands on.  Add a cross support on top and you can double duty cooking on it too.

I have couple here, the stainless one above and an older aluminium one.  They must be 10yrs old or more.  Always carry one in the car if we travel.

They are a bit like owning an old Tilley lamp, a must have if you enjoy the outdoors life.  Just watch where you use a Kelly Kettle, they will leave a scortched circle if used on grass.  Won't make you popular at a campsite.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »
great gadget but ( from memory ) outside gets a bit hot too so using handle / gloves is essential.

Good fun though and always causes a stir- what's that for then? How's it work etc...

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »
That brings back some memories. In the days when I used to spend most of my life outdoors, I was never without one.

Stainless versions, and that pot-stand thingy are new to me though.

As I remember, the first thing you did with a new one back then was to drill out the pop rivets on that lower chain hanger, lard it up with high-temp sealant, and re-rivet it. Just to try to stop the damn thing from leaking. Guess their quality control has improved a bit.

But it was always good fun to watch some first-time user light one up with the spout bung still in... :palm:

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 06:23:24 PM »
The latest ones are spot welded rather pop riveted - should be a big improvement  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
Many years ago (why do so many of my posts start that way??   :lol:   :lol:   :lol: ) the Consumers Association did a comparison of various 'outdoor' or 'camping' water boilers and I believe that one of the heaters they included was the Kelly.  It was or could be powered with burning paper.  When they described the results of that one they decided to do a side-comparison test to see which sort of paper gave the best results.  (A bit of 'light' relief?!?!)  I was amused to read that they had included pages from their magazine, 'Which', in the test - and were honest enough to confess that pages from 'Which' were well down the list. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Joules

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
Perhaps they should do a supplement that burns really well, a Best Burn Guide...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 04:07:07 PM »
Summer on it's way??

Emmm. From this morning...

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 11:00:38 PM »
you have to be joking  :bugeye: even our worst winter won't get worse than -4C at dawn and 11 c by 8am. I feel for you guys  how can you live like that. I thought global warming stopped all that :lol:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline sparky961

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 11:12:38 PM »
Summer on it's way??

LOL... I was thinking the same thing as I'm sitting here listen to the wind howl outside, having recently been out there and glanced at the thermometer reading -15°C (5°F).  Hasn't been too bad this winter.  Nothing like recent years where I actually saw -29°C (-20°F) on our thermometer one morning!

I'm farther north than the recent blizzard though, so we have barely any snow.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
Snow is melting here in Calgary its almost gone where the sun hits it just the shady parts to go!

Offline Joules

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 06:22:24 AM »
I got myself the Kelly Stove conversion for the Kelly Kettle.  This was breakfast being cooked after boiling the kettle for a coffee and a flask of hot water.

I am suitably impressed by the conversion, if you're familiar with a K.K as soon as you lift off the kettle the fire is blown all over the place or to smouldering embers.  This does a good job of keeping it all alight without getting buffeted by the wind.   If you're a closet Ray Mears, this is a toy for you, and it all packs into the kettle base.