Author Topic: Stuart S50 stationary engine.  (Read 741 times)

Offline mechman48

Stuart S50 stationary engine.
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »
Hi all
Started on my S50 engine past couple of weeks; looks to be more interesting than the 'Progress' I have just completed. Started off fettling the base, flywheel & other sundry bits, amazing the amount of sand that comes out of the cylinder ports, mind you this kit is one of 3 that I'd got for my birthday some 4 years ago so they weren't the best of castings, did speak to Stuarts rep at Doncaster last year & he commented that they've changed casting supplier who now produce better quality castings.

pic 1... Major components...

pic 2...fettled base

pic 3... machining base...

pic 4... Drill & tap base...

pics 5/6/7/8/... set up & machining cylinder flange/ bore...

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline John Rudd

Re: Stuart S50 stationary engine.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
George, looking good so far, up to your usual build standard... :dremel:

Is that a saddle stop I see in the last picture on your WM250? Got any plans? ( assuming it will fit my SPG clone)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline mechman48

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 08:25:23 AM »
Hi John
Did have a simple dwg at one time, whether I've still got it is another question... will have a look on my files & see if I kept it otherwise it would be a quick hand drawn sketch... I'm not conversant with AutoCAD etc, have just downloaded 'Sketch Up' to have a go   :scratch:
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
oooo brill

Offline mechman48

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
George, looking good so far, up to your usual build standard... :dremel:

Is that a saddle stop I see in the last picture on your WM250? Got any plans? ( assuming it will fit my SPG clone)

Have been out to garage & done a sketch for you... the old fashioned way... & if it's of any use to others ... feel free to use it.

Also close up pic...

George.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 03:18:49 PM »
Thanks for posting that!

Offline mechman48

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »
Follow up on the S50 stationary engine...Drilling & tapping the cylinder fixing points... drilling the steam ports... +additional pic of home made tapping stand.

George.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
Bit more done...

Piston, piston rod, cylinder covers, gland nut, crank & crankpin... slowly, slowly catchee monkey... :med: ...

George.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 03:47:50 AM »
... onward & upward... a bit more for my S50 engine...
also filed to size, cleaned up & lapped the valve / face, made the valve adjuster nut, had 3 attempts at that as couldn't get the 7BA tapped hole central & square   :scratch:  didn't get any pics of that ...yet   :med:

George.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 05:03:26 AM »
S50 again... attempted to mark off the valve chest cover this week, got the scribe lines marked ok but when it came to centre popping the hole positions, not a lot happening, apart from my centre punch point being flattened... yep! chilled cast iron   :bugeye:, dried drilling, one 2.5 drill later...there was no way that drill would ever get through that skin, so what to do?. A quick stir up of the old grey matter brought up...  :smart:... normalise / temper it, not having a Bar-b-Q going ... here in the UK...  :)! ... & not having enough MAPP gas to have a prolonged saturation I wrapped it in aluminium foil, stuck it in the kitchen oven, set at highest temp. 250*C & let it soak for a couple of hrs & then let it cool naturally overnight, seemed to do the trick albeit not 'soft' it was drillable. pics show cover after soaking overnight... still shows dark straw colour hence not 'soft' but as said 'drillable'. So for those with the S50 Kit, or any other casting kit for that matter, check out castings for chilled areas ... :headbang: (please excuse the un-intentional granny & eggs intimation).  p.s. carefully reground centre punch so no need to re-temper point.

George.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 05:09:38 AM »
S50 update... assembled the bits 'n' bobs made so far, starting to look like an engine...  :med:

George.