Author Topic: Hello from Michigan  (Read 4452 times)

Offline JayMcClellan

• BrainRight
Hello from Michigan
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:07:21 PM »
I found this forum while searching for info on the DDCSV1.1 CNC controller panel that I recently bought for my shop. I'll make a new post about that shortly, with details of what I built. I use a CNC router to help build guitars, among other things, and I recently bought a benchtop milling machine (PM-25MV) that I plan to convert to CNC eventually. I also like to build quadcopters, amateur radio antennas, and various electronic stuff. I just enjoy the process of making things, and of course acquiring new tools!

Regards,
Jay McClellan

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:12:33 PM »
Hi Jay,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Show us some of your stuff... into quadcopters (acquiring parts now). Would like to see some on the guitars too...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
Hi from me too Jay... :wave:
I have an interest in electronic stuff, fly r/c planes and have a few guitars, Fender Telecaster, Squire Strat ( but has all Fender gear on it) a Squire PB, and an Ibanez GX 270, with Peavey/ Vox amps..
Above all I like making stuff....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline rogprov

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:54:54 PM »
Hi Jay, I'm new here myself and haven't posted much as yet - but learnt quite a bit by avidly reading the postings. Amateur Radio is one of my things too (g0rgj). :)

Roger

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »
hi and welcome

Offline JayMcClellan

• BrainRight
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »
Thanks all, I don't have any pics of the first quadcopter I built but I do have a somewhat humorous video from its last flight:

Helpful hint: the waterproof enclosure for a GoPro camera is also pretty good at protecting it from tree branches!

You can see some photos of the first guitars I made, plus a one-of-a-kind ukulele, on my website at: http://www.BrainRight.com/Projects/Luthiery/.

Offline Biggles

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
Hi and welcome Jay, there are a few here with interests in flying machines and electronics.  :wave:

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »
Hi Jay

welcome. I too have tried but with my sons helicopter.

Only 15 trees on our village green and I managed to find one backwards! He on the other hand missed the lot!
 I have tried to claim it was skill but  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Mind you enjoyed it so much I've now got one ( still unflown as no confidence but summer's coming over here so.... Anyone downwind of Yorkshire watch out !

Don't believe GoPro's are indestructible - eldest son broke his 1st day by attaching to RC car (F1 type) and it came off in a turn , hit it just to left of On /off button and not a mark on the case but switch bust. Straight back and replaced under extended warrenty .

Have fun, lucky you missed the house!

Ian

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
They scare the pants off me  :bugeye:

My eldest boy gave me one last year for my birthday. We took it into the middle of our paddock to be as far away from danger as possible. All was going well for some time until a gust of wind took it vertically up and out of range of the controller. We could see it careering off towards the south west on a track that pointed at the main A21 trunk road, then it dived earthwards impinging about 10 yards short of the road.

I still go cold thinking of the potential consequences had it carried that extra 10 yards

I believe that my grandson now has it, but I don't want to be responsible for death and mayhem close to home   :zap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »
Done that! Learning to fly rc planes with a buddy lead for the Instructor he said I've got it but neither one of us had it we watched it plunge about 150 feet digging the motor in a good 6" into the soil!

Offline JayMcClellan

• BrainRight
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 09:03:03 PM »
I once chatted on the ham radio with a guy who said he used to fly model jets. Not ducted-fan planes made to look like jets mind you, but ones with actual functioning jet engines. He said one crash could easily run into thousands of dollars. I told him that his model jets made my quadcopters seem really inexpensive. He said yeah, but his last divorce made the model jets seem really inexpensive!

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »

:lol:

He said yeah, but his last divorce made the model jets seem really inexpensive!

I know that feeling  :scratch: Having given 3 houses away  :loco: :loco:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 03:26:51 PM »
Wasn't it Rod Stewart who said next time he would just find  woman he couldn't stand and give her a house ? :scratch: :scratch:

The RC jets are fantastic but , many years ago I watched one total into the runway. Several thousand pounds of expensive alloys reduced to small fragments in microseconds but, As the young lad next to me commented to his father " they crash just like the real thing dad ! " both his dad an I were heartbroken. He on the other hand thought it was part of the demonstration. :Doh: :Doh:

Offline Joules

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
Hi Jay, I know a guy who used to build model jets commercially....   And do the crash repairs when they came back in.   The things really are like TONKA toys, it takes a lot to totally destroy an engine as they really only have one moving part.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.