Author Topic: CL300m Milling?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline paulbg

CL300m Milling?
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
New here but thought I would share. Milling on the Clarke CL300m lathe is possible but takes a bit of work. This is what I made up for mine and it works well if you stick to brass, alloy and steel...with care! Why someone doesn't make this I don't know. £400+ for a small milling machine is a lot to find for that 'odd' part. Anyway, here it is, I'd really like to see if anyone else has tried to do this too!

Offline John Rudd

Re: CL300m Milling?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
Hi Paul and welcome...maybe post an introduction in the relevant section with a but more about yourself? :beer:

We're a pretty friendly bunch here and fairly relaxed.....Looks like you've been busy?

As you say, £400 is a lot to swallow for a mill, milling in the lathe is not something new to a lot of folk as thats all they have....The CL300 is a little on the small size for milling unless its for small stuff....It lacks the power( and the electronics are probably not the most reliable... :zap:  )  and rigidity required in truth.....

Got any pictures if stuff you have made? We like pictures :worthless:

Enjoy and have fun.... :thumbup:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline paulbg

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Thanks John, I will. Horses for courses I guess. I never turn above about 30mm anyway. Rarely if ever steel so this handy sized lathe is perfect. I've had it 14yrs and use it almost daily so it certainly is value. Never had an issue with power or the motor though, just make smaller cuts. I turned the face of the steel block that holds the slide so it isn't too bad. Definitely have to go easy, rigidity is an issue but if the slides and saddle are set right it's ok. A couple of rough tests I've done, cameras, watches are my main thing.

Offline Roger B

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:34:47 AM »
I used a similar system for milling on my minilathe. Rather than using the toolpost mount I drilled and tapped four holes in the crossslide. These pictures are from the construction of a small 4 stoke petrol engine.
Best regards

Roger

Offline paulbg

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 06:28:21 AM »
This I like John! :) I should man-up and drill/tap the cross-slide. The toolpost does give me the rest slide option too. How do you move your work into the milling tool?

Offline Roger B

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »
I fitted a handle to the end of the leadscrew and feed the complete carriage (you can just see the handle in the second picture). Instructions for the Seig version are given in David Fenners book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Mini-lathe-Workshop-Practice-David-Fenner/1854862545/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1490359054&sr=1-1&keywords=minilathe

(other booksellers exist)

My version of the minilathe is slightly different and already had a thread on the right hand end of the leadscrew.
Best regards

Roger

Offline paulbg

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 10:22:33 AM »
Thanks for the link, I've just bought one...looking forward to seeing it. No mine hasn't a thread, I also have a metric leadscrew and it hasn't either. Good solution that, didn't think of it  :Doh:  Looking at your setup I really must get a collet set. I made up a few holders but I should invest. They were a quick fix really.