Author Topic: Averting a Crisis - Teetering Machinery !  (Read 2092 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Averting a Crisis - Teetering Machinery !
« on: March 28, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »
Today there was no choice - I had to act and I had to act NOW  :bugeye:

Behind my barn / workshop is a storage area where 9 years ago various pieces of equipment had been stored, all under tarps, awaiting 'round tuits'. Brambles and a vine had grown all over this area turning it into impenetrable jungle - definitely a no go area without heavy protective clothing.

Well today the years took their toll, and a pallet under a Blacksmiths Goliath Power Hammer collapsed such that this machine that weighs best part of a ton was over at nearly 45 degrees - not sure why it didn't fall over, but it was about to  :bang:

Now this is the area from where Matthew rescued the Warco Power Hacksaw at Christmas - and that was prickly enough but this was down right unpleasant. Needless to say the Power Hammer had been the 'first In' into this serial storage, so all the Johnny Comes Lately's had to be pulled out first:

a/ A pallet of Foundry Copes and Drags - not too bad as their pallet didn't collapse

b/ A pallet of tubs of foundry sand - again the pallet just about survived

c/ A Kasenit Gas Powered melting furnace - this was nasty - pallet in bits, jungle entwined everywhere, and very difficult to get at the lifting lugs with strops without loosing all my skin  :bugeye: OK it eventually got lifted onto another pallet and moved.

.... now we are getting ever closer to the teetering Power Hammer - ok it was designed to squash things, but please ... not me  :scratch:

d/ A pallet with the twin motors for the Power Hammer - totally rotted - re-pallatised and shifted.

So so we've driven a path into the jungle as far as the main act - Mr Goliath himself. Scraping away the rotten remains of the previous pallets leading up to this point, I was able to get the pallet truck close enough to use as a safety cage while getting strops under it's main pulley shaft - phew not squashed yet !

A quick lift proved far from quick - it's amazing how powerfully vine and bambles will hold on to things. OK after more attacking with (unaccustomed for me!) garden implements freed it, and drama was averted as it was safely put on a fresh pallet.

No pictures of the teetering machine I'm afraid, only the aftermath, and then the machines safely moved into the stable.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Averting a Crisis - Teetering Machinery !
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »
So now I have a stable blocked up by several pallets of equipment that I will probably never use and we are due to start lambing next week - guess where the emergency lamb ward is - yes right where these bits are  :bang:

Never mind - someone has already expressed an interest in Mr Goliath (actually I'm not surprised as these things are few and far between) -it's an interesting bit of kit - have a few more pictures
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 12:25:19 PM »
Sounds like you really need a new tractor/machinery barn, for your stock items.  :D
Pete

Offline DaveS

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
Perhaps it wasn't a dodgy pallet but due to your excessive influx of water recently a sink hole has caused the pallet to list. :lol: