Author Topic: Po' man's mag drill  (Read 6244 times)

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
Po' man's mag drill
« on: March 10, 2017, 05:37:30 AM »

I'm having to drill & tap a ton of holes on my new CNC project. I don’t have a mag drill so I cobbled up this rig to ensure that the holes are all nice & straight.

A friend let me borrow his lever-assist safe drilling gizmo but in use it doesn't guarantee that the hole is perpendicular to the work.  I made up a guide stand for it by modifying an old British Leyland screw press I had squirreled away .  I modded it with some longer guide rods and 2 acetal bushed aluminum plates to attach to the drill.

He also let me have a 12V electromagnetic security door lock. I ordered another one from ebay for a total of (allegedly) 1200 lbs. clamping force. The E/M’s won’t be used to anchor the end of the lever, just to solidly clamp the base once the hole position is located.  They're wired in series for 24vdc.  A chain either wrapped around or bolted to the table at the far end of the lever allows applying as much pressure on the drill as needed. The length of lever is adjustable out to about 3 feet.

The drill spindle was buggered a bit from slippage so I milled 3 flats on it to stop that problem.    I included a pic of the wacky setup I used to mill the flats. Finally found a use for the clamped V-blocks I picked up a long time ago.

The pics show a large drill in it just for kicks; no way I'm drilling a hole that big in that nice blanchard-ground table top!  I didn't actually need the additional leverage of the safe drilling gizmo for these small holes but it's there when I need it.  I just aligned the drill over the punch mark, switched on the magnets, climbed up on a step stool & let my body weight work for me.
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline John Rudd

Re: Po' man's mag drill
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:21:05 AM »
Nice bit of lateral thinking there DB....   :thumbup:
Anything to get the job done..thanks for sharing. :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:26:23 AM »
How it is drilling?

Once I had to lug small drill press near to 200*200 mm square pipe and clamp it down on it, because the poor drill table would have broken under the load of the three metre long pipe...not to mention my back.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:00:36 AM »
That's a good mod I reckon, but can I send you a bit of new cable for the drill before you kill yourself  :bugeye:

Mag drills are wonderful things  :thumbup:

Mine sits in a box most of the year, but came out to play on Wednesday drilling 64 holes in those farm signs I made - by modern standards it's huge and clunky but by heck it makes the job go so much better  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
That's a good mod I reckon, but can I send you a bit of new cable for the drill before you kill yourself  :bugeye:

Snip

I refrained from posting a couple of hours ago because I didn't want to come over as a smart a**e!  Well, no more than usual anyway!!

Andrew has posted words which combine friendliness, tact and concern with sound advice.  Take care, Dickeybird, we need you.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »
Yep, I really am working hard dealing with my chronic case of P.S. (Procrastination Syndrome)  It will be dealt with just as soon as I get around to it. :zap:
Milton in Tennesee

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
That's a good mod I reckon, but can I send you a bit of new cable for the drill before you kill yourself   :bugeye:

Oh my.....I missed that in the first pic......
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
Just as a further note on the ratty looking cord, the important part is still in good shape.  The cord itself was replaced probably 35 yrs ago & still going strong.

The original molded strain relief which I re-used turned to dust 15 years ago & at that time I made a temporary repair by slitting a piece of fuel hose, sliding it over the cord & up into the handle then wrapping with electrical tape in a highly complicated, precisely calculated  tapered fashion to reduce stress on the cord. :thumbup: 

The replacement of the cord will be immediately brought to the attention of the maintenance committee. :beer:
Milton in Tennesee

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 04:57:47 PM »
 :clap: :clap: brill

Offline hanermo

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »
How strong is the drill ?

I seems like == 1" holes, in steel, with == 1.5 Hp drill.
Is this possible ?

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »
How strong is the drill ?

I seems like == 1" holes, in steel, with == 1.5 Hp drill.
Is this possible ?
Of course it is.  That's a 1972 Black & Decker genuine American made drill you're lookin' at son!  a 1" drill is nothing to 1972 genuine American horsepower!  Chuck Norris was in his prime 32 year-old bad-a$$ness in 1972.  Why in 1972 I could.... :jaw:

Seriously that 1" drill was put in the pic as a joke.  I stated that fact in the post pretty clearly (I thought.)  I'll be using it with 3/8"/10mm drills at the most.

Milton in Tennesee

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »
Chuck Norris hair would cut all the holes you need.... since chuck aint around you may wanna consider a Roto=broach or annular cutter to drill your holes.. expensive purchase initially reduce cost over time.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »
I am totaly converted to rotabroach. Fairy near the size in diameter, can drill with less power and downward force is very low compared to normal spiral drills. Force needed to push the spiral drill is considerable, if I remember right, somewhere 200 kg range for 10 or 12 mm drill with nominal feed.

I have tried holesaws too, but they don't cut thick sections particulary well, without anciliary holes and some waffing about. Doable, but slow and pretty much allways you need something to finish that hole, unless you are welding it.

Pekka