Author Topic: In-Sink-Erator resurrection  (Read 10374 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: In-Sink-Erator resurrection
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
It also says 50K on it as I photographed it to source the replacement, but never measured it  :palm: Nor do I seem to have kept the picture, however it was exactly the same as the one here except the marking was printed not pressed in.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline russ57

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 09:03:09 PM »
I'd give it a go as well. At worst, the useful adjustment range will be 'compressed' so the calibration may change but it should work fine.

-russ

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 02:22:33 AM »
Jerry,
       I searched again today and cannot find the actual page but the "T2" people here, https://www.t2tea.com/en/ca/features/how-to-brew/how-to-brew-fundamentals.htm
At the top there is a list of the various types and their recommendations. I do recall that the figures I quoted were for the Oolong tea. All up, I reckon it's totally up to your choice which temp you choose. My mum for example made sure the kettle was boiling furiously before making a cuppa.
You make it you drink it I guess.
If you search for  'ideal temperature for tea brewing' you will get heaps of stuff to confuse you.
So, that sorted, back to Andrew's adventures.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline JerryNotts

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 04:01:45 AM »
John,

I'd go with your mum's method.

I only have so much detailed info from working 50odd years in chemical labs where the making of the tea was a critical operation, subject to much observation and experimentation, and occasionally using words, as Churchill said 'from the earlier letters in the dictionary' to descibe the results. The Operator was the biggest variable.
Employers would not go to the expense of specific teas, nor tea bags. In any case once brought up on Ceylon Teas, BrookeBond etc and the use of a tannin encrusted teapot you just got used to it. Strength and flavour being the main critererion. Some of the pots and their owners had gone through the war.

As you say back to Andrew's thread now.

Jerry

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 06:56:09 AM »
So I decided to install the 50K pot. This entailed creating a Frankenstein Monster of a pot comprising the new body with the base incorporating the different mounting pins from the old pot.

Initial tests seem OK. I set the pot mid way, plumbed and powered it up, and got 95 deg C. Then wound the pot up to maximum and got 97.2 deg C which is just about right

Then I brush painted some conformal coating over where I've soldered to re-make the vapour protection that was there before.

Still very puzzling about the 28K / 50K conundrum  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 07:57:42 AM »
As you say back to Andrew's thread now.

Just one last diversion if I may....

I only have so much detailed info from working 50odd years in chemical labs where the making of the tea was a critical operation

Critical as in - everyone knows the world stops unless lubricated with sufficient cups of tea? Or critical as in, you were actually blending/refining teas?

Curious minds....

Andrew: Presumably, the low end of the resistor was providing the maximum temperature (i.e. tending to zero ohms). With your old pot failing "high resistance", it could no longer tell the machine to go to maximum temperature. Normally if a pot fails at high resistance the issue is with the wiper; often the wiper & "output leg" are wired together, which I assume was the case in, er, this case.

So... that given... it wouldn't matter if it was a 28k pot, a 50k pot or even a 147k pot... the low resistance end would give the maximum temperature.

However... I'm sure you've thought of all that stuff (cos I knows you are good with electrickery), so if I'm talking out of my Chinese hat, just say so...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »
Ade, the original pot wiper had been knocked off in the dis-assembling of the original device - my own clumsiness not removing the shaft before laying it on the bench. The actual track was undamaged  :scratch:

Any road up it's working and making me tea and coffee, and the fixed 'spares or repairs' one tucked away for the next failure  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »
Hi there, all,

Sorry if this is  :offtopic:  :offtopic:  :offtopic: 

But please can someone tell me how you get two (or more) quotes in the same reply? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline mattinker

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
Cut and paste the quote from another reply!

Matthew

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
...... Any road up it's working and making me tea and coffee, and the fixed 'spares or repairs' one tucked away for the next failure

or perchance two in readiness to fuel the class in December?  :coffee:

Dave

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »
Got a big Urn for that  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline charadam

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
Is Big Urn available for Bar Mitzvahs as well?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2017, 02:14:52 AM »
No, that's Big Earn  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline JerryNotts

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 03:38:57 AM »
jOHN,

Perhaps my last word on the tea topic.  I suppose it depends what is meant by critical, the OED has at least 5 separate definitions. My use of the word was to describe the effect of poor quality on the staff. On occasion the effect was to distract to the extent that the lunchtime cribbage, bridge and chess schools (other games are available) lost their joyous and sometimes raucous edge.

Jerry