Author Topic: My Old Burgess Band-Saw  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Pete W.

My Old Burgess Band-Saw
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:52:42 PM »
Hi there, all,

I was so pleased with this, I just had to show it off!   :D   :D   :D 

Not a major project, just a small job I'm doing at present.  I bought a 6" length of 150 mm wide ¾" thick aluminium bar (or maybe it was a 150 mm length of 6" wide bar??) and need to get the largest possible disk out of it.

Having carefully marked it out and drilled a few holes, I was faced with the job of removing the four corners.  I plan to finish it in the lathe but I didn't want to have too much material to turn off considering that it would be an interrupted cut at quite a large radius.

I eventually managed to drag my ancient Burgess band-saw to a relatively clear space on the bench, gave the blade guides and blade tension a quick tweak and started in.
The photo shows the result - I'm very pleased with it.    :ddb:   :ddb:   :ddb: 

(The circle 3/8" inside the outermost one shows the extent of an intended chamfer.) 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: My Old Burgess Band-Saw
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »
Well done Pete  :clap:

I've been band sawing 10mm aluminum ground plate for bits for the Z axis of the CNC Plasma Cutter.(*) I started using the fence on the Startrite saw, but it was hopeless - wandering all over and you cannot correct anything as the stock is in contact with the fence. Eventually I removed the fence and eyeballed it, following a 'Sharpie' pen line, and found that I could steer it to keep the cut within the thickness of the pen line.

Now I know that band saw blades can wear unevenly, so one side has more 'set' than the other, and also if your guides are set wrongly you can unset the teeth, but this wasn't the case in this instance. Odd - sometime it just sings along and surprises me, and at other times it's just exasperating  :scratch:

(* sizes not too critical as they ar milled all round later)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rogprov

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »
Great stuff.  I have a very early Burgess that has just one speed - slow. Fitted with a M42 blade it's amazing what it will cut providing one goes at slow steady rate.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
 :update:   :update:   :update:  Ref, the photo in my initial post - it doesn't look like that anymore!   :ddb:   :ddb:   :ddb: 

I've managed a bit of workshop time since that post.  I've made a 'wobble bar' and a 'nudger' (sorry, no photos of work in progress but I'll try to post a few of the finished results.)  Then, with the disk mounted on another piece of the job and using those two devices, I got the disk centred and free of 'swash' and turned off the periphery and then chamferred one edge.

The basic project is to fit a gas-spring arm to my desk to take both a monitor and the phone.  I bought the arm in instalments on eBay.  It came with an edge clamp but I can't use that because the top of the desk is fluch with the rear of the plinth cabinets and modesty board so these bit under construction are to enable me to mount the pole using a through-bolt.  (Photos later!)

The next task is to bore the aforesaid 'another piece' to be a smooth fit on the pole. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 01:52:48 PM »
All fairly simple stuff, I'm afraid, but here are the photos I promised in my previous post.  The photos are all 'posed', especially the third one.
Best regards,

Pete W.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 05:51:01 AM »
I've been continuing to work on this project but I'll probably start another thread - the 'My Old Burgess Bandsaw' title would be a bit misleading.

More pictures and explanation soon.   
Best regards,

Pete W.