Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

travelling steady tool post

(1/3) > >>

shipto:
I am currently doing some turning between centres and to stop the vibration have had to put the tail stock closer than is ideal to the job. A travelling steady would be great but my cross slide does not seem to have any mounts for one.
Anyway I thought what if there was a steady that could A) just be clamped into the tool post or B) replace the tool post so it would need to have the facility to mount the tool you needed into it.
The most obvious problem would be that with every cut you would be moving the top steady off the centre of the work but to get over that you could have it so you set it up and leave it there then the tool could move back and forward with a screw in the steady.
If no one is interested in taking this up as a project I will store it as a future project but I have put it here in case anyone fancies giving it a go.

SwarfnStuff:
Hi Shipto,
         I don't recall what breed your lathe is. But in my case, with a Seig C2 clone (7x12") there are two mounting holes in the head stock side of the cross slide where my non existent traveling steady would mount. Did not get any steadies at all with my lathe and so far have not got around to making any.
          So have a look see, you may discover something helpful. Or Not?  :wave:
John B

Jo:
The two holes should be in the front of the saddle, it should not move in and out with the slide.

Silly question: - Are you using a quick mount tool holder? Have you considered mounting the tool holder on the right hand side of the tool post  rather than the left?

Jo

shipto:
My lathe is a old Harrison 14" and it doesn't have anything at all on the cross slide to mount a steady. However I am managing without one I posted because I thought it may be a idea someone would want to look in to.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

SwarfnStuff:
OOPS!
    You are absolutely correct Jo. They are on the Saddle. Brain fade? Or, type without thinking?
John B

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version