Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Injection molded fan

(1/4) > >>

John Rudd:
Prompted by another member, Joules....I have given thought to making a new fan for my drill refurb project....
As I need a few of these, milling from a blank seemed tedious....

John Rudd:
Simple enough to make or so it seems, although the added complication is that there is a centre boss with a steel insert....

John Rudd:
Fortunately, I have the steel inserts from the fans that were destroyed during their removal...
So now onto making the mold....
Starting with an alloy blank disc, I machined the slots that would form the 'blades'....sadly I got part way thru when the motor on my mill gave up!

John Rudd:
Now the centre of the disc has been bored to take the metal insert and there will be a locating pin on the main mold so that the insert is centralised when all is assembled ready for plastic injection...

John Rudd:
So once this part is completed, I need to think about plastic/inj mold machine and anything I might have forgotten....
So if anyone has any tips or advice or suggest if I've gone about this the wrong way, do let me know....
I do need advice in what type of plastic....any ideas...?

Btw, the fan is around 50mm dia and around 10 mm thick at the thickest part...motor speed is around 5-6000rpm...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version