Home Base > Introductions

CNC nut from Texas

(1/3) > >>

PPRINT:
Hello all.

I would like to introduce myself here.  My name is Rob , and I come to you from Texas, USA.

I found this site while searching my Tapatalk phone app looking for a new CNC site to read.  I was quickly hooked and read everything I could on this site, both CNC and not.  I am so pleased to see all of the contributors being very gracious and willing to share their knowledge without undertones.  That is a rare thing on today's internet forum sites. 

My background....
I was first introduced to computers in 1985 when my high school started a computer programming class using the new APPLE IIe.  That first year I fell in love with coding.  I spent the whole summer break between the 10th and 11th grade mowing lawns and doing odd jobs for money .  By the end of the summer I had about half of the money saved to pay for that computer.  My father was impressed by my commitment to get a computer so he agreed to pay the other half.  I spent the remainder of high school mastering Basic, Cobol, and Fortran.  It was the first thing I had ever been involved in that I felt I was a natural. Sadly I was never able to attend college to further my coding interest. I did however attend a trade school and studied in the Tool & Die program. I was recruited by the Boeing Aircraft Company as a trainee in the CNC machining department within a year of starting that program.

Fast forward to today...I have been in the Aerospace machining industry for my whole working career of 30 years.  Almost exclusively in the CNC specialty.  I ended up programming CAD systems for about 2/3 of that time. Today I am a Senior NC Programmer for a DoD contractor in the Aerospace industry.  My software of choice  is CATIA V5 and now CATIA/DELMIA V6 r2013x.

I am working on a CNC router project at my house that I will describe in another thread in the CNC forum.

I look forward to getting to know you all and look forward to learning from you.

Rob

DMIOM:
hi Rob and welcome - we're a diverse but hopefully friendly bunch here!

Dave (Isle of Man)

Pete W.:
Hi there, Rob,

Hello and welcome from a UK Mad Modder.

Joules:
Hi Rob,  in my yoof...  I bought an Apple II+ when my mates were all out buying cars etc.  I didn't get on with the programming side as well as the hardware, and that led me into computer controlled devices and eventually a job as computer engineer at a local University.  That got me into CAD CAM, Rhino and stereo lithography in the early 90's.  I had a good head start on 3D printing without realising it.   I currently work as a freelance prototyping engineer.

Welcome to the Madness, look forward to seeing your work.

Joules

krv3000:
hi and welcome

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version