Author Topic: Anvil. Stumped, at last.  (Read 5992 times)

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
Anvil. Stumped, at last.
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »
Don't know how much interest this will be to you guys (unless you are into metal-bashing). But here goes anyway...

I made this steel stand for my big anvil when I first got it, a few years ago.

Old anvil stand by Mick, on Flickr

Now, steel stands have their good points. They are quick and simple to make, from whatever metal you have about. And for those of us who work in small, cramped shops, give you the ability to move the anvil out of the way if you need the space for something else.

However, they also make the anvil noisy, kill the rebound, and let's be honest, how many times do I really want to move a four hundred pound anvil about?

There's a reason why traditionally anvils were always placed on a timber stump set into the ground. It's not just tradition, they really do work better that way.

I'd been looking around for a suitable sized length of tree trunk, but not having much luck, when a friend said he had some old railway sleepers he wanted rid of.  Next-best thing, I thought.

Cut down, bolted tightly together and set a couple of feet into the shop floor. Two bags of post-mix concrete in the hole make sure it's not going anywhere. Too late to change my mind now...

New anvil stand by Mick, on Flickr

First job on it was to forge the four hold-downs. The difference is surprising. It's really like a different anvil. Quiet clear ring, and perfect rebound. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Hold-downs by Mick, on Flickr

Happy days.
"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Anvil. Stumped, at last.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
Coo! :clap:

Looks right, too! :thumbup:
 :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:49:14 AM »
How many of those, 'I must do this one day' jobs result in us asking "Why didn't I do this years ago?" question of ourselves.
     Anyway, I am thinking that the anvil now is probably not that much more difficult to move -  :lol: 400kg, Really? Where's the forklift? (oops! just doubled the mass plus a bit. 400 lb  though is still toooo heavy for this little fella)  :hammer:
      Looks good, and you say it sounds good too. Not into metal bashing but admire the end results of the hobby.
  Thanks for posting,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Mick
Only just found this thread, nice job :headbang:

Farm over road has one hanging about but not needed it yet!

Mate in next village dead I could have a go on his forge years back, this reminds me I need to call in that favour.