The Shop > Our Shop

new workshop - insulation advice needed

(1/7) > >>

picclock:
Hi
I'm currently moving and my new workshop is an extended garage, approx 3mx15m, with a door directly into the house. The outside walls are concrete blocks and there is no ceiling as such although it does have a loft space and pitched roof. I want to improve the insulation to help with condensation issues and improve my comfort levels a bit.

My current scheme is to fix 50mm battens to the walls and attach plasterboard to the battens, insulation the gap behind with polystyrene or whatever is cheap and works best. The ceilings I will probably get someone else to do, basically nailing up plasterboard and fitting 200mm insulation on top.

I would appreciate any suggestion/ideas as this is far from my area of expertise.

We take possession of the house today and I will post pictures later.

Best Regards

picclock

Edit: Since posting this I have had the thought it might be better to use OSB board on the battens rather that plasterboard as this will make it strong enough to screw shelves/fittings directly into the board.

AdeV:
OSB is certainly far better than plasterboard for screwing things up (if you see what I mean)...

Shop around for the cheapest panels - best I found was a squeak over £9/sheet provided I bought 10-off at a time. Size wise they're the full 8x4' (2440x1220mm) unlike Wickes plasterboard which is 2400x1200... mix & matching them is slightly awkward to say the least.

picclock:
Hi Adev

Which thickness of board did you use ?. I was thinking going for 18mm as that way the battens will be spaced at 1200mm and the centre of the board will not be too tender. Best offer I have found is http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/pound-11-70-per-sheet-36no-18mm-x-1220mm-x-2440mm-osb-3-board.html with 36 sheets for £529.20 inc Vat and Del. , which I think is OK as I will have a couple of spares over at the end. Being 1220 wide spacing I can use 1200 mm wide insulation and still have enough space for the battens, 50mm square I thought. Did you use insulation behind and if so what type?

Polystyrene sheets looks attractive cost wise or possibly loosefill of some sort.

Best Regards

picclock

AdeV:
I used the thinnest stuff I could get my hands on, which was (I think) 11mm. I used 600mm stud spacings. I did put noggins between them all, but had to knock most of them out as I managed to set them at the exact height I needed my electrical sockets... (oops).

The 11mm thick wall with 600mm stud (2x3 planed) is plenty strong enough, and my walls are all free-standing, not attached to existing walls like yours will be.

I haven't used any insulation on the outsides (too difficult to get to), I will use rockwool on the roof & the one wall I do have good access to.

mechman48:

--- Quote from: AdeV on April 21, 2017, 06:21:28 AM ---I used the thinnest stuff I could get my hands on, which was (I think) 11mm. I used 600mm stud spacings. I did put noggins between them all, but had to knock most of them out as I managed to set them at the exact height I needed my electrical sockets... (oops).

The 11mm thick wall with 600mm stud (2x3 planed) is plenty strong enough, and my walls are all free-standing, not attached to existing walls like yours will be.

I haven't used any insulation on the outsides (too difficult to get to), I will use rockwool on the roof & the one wall I do have good access to.

--- End quote ---

I have used the same; 11mm OSB on same spaced studding with noggins at equidistant spacing. As said OSB is much better as I have various shelves & a MMart (usual disc' r ) wall cabinet screwed to mine & they are held up solidly. I have put 1" Celotex insulation foil covered both sides in between the studding with a 1" air gap behind that, proved to be very stable temperature wise in winter & summer. The roof space was plaster boarded then covered with propriety loft 'space blanket'. when the temp outside has been -3* the inside temp has been stable at 7-8*, so above the dew point, helping to prevent rust... I do have a couple of small oil rads to bring the temp up when needed... all nice & cosy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version