Author Topic: homemade vice and what a vice.  (Read 10276 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
homemade vice and what a vice.
« on: April 22, 2017, 04:40:47 AM »
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: homemade vice and what a vice.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »
OK it LOOKs impressive, but I wonder how strong it actually is? The front jaw seems rather wimpy to project so high above the screw. And the stacked plate construction left me wondering how much weld penetration he was getting - I saw no edge preparation or Veeing out (maybe I missed it  :med: )

Entertaining though  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Jo

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »
They forgot to fit a clutch  :doh:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline j1312v

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
Interesting :dremel: but for me this is the ultimate shopmade bench vice  :drool:

[embed=425,349]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
[/embed]

the down size is that you need to find that type of rail and you need a horizontal borer, mid you with a bit of thought you probably can made one in your Harrison Shipto.

Joe
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:15:19 PM by j1312v »

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »
Very interesting video Joe I did laugh a little early on when he ran his finger on the edge, pulled a splinter out then did the same thing again  :doh: :lol:

I have to say I got a bit interested in some of the videos that came up after that had finished from shurap https://www.youtube.com/user/shurap77 making damascus steel blades from various bits so it has taken me quite a while to reply to this.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline velocette

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »
Hi Shipto
           Mighty vice now to pick holes. The structural channel is the weak point it will gouge the base plate with the rounded flanges and also deflect downwards at maximum jaw openings causing the screw to bend and jam in the nut that is welded to the base.
 Awemawson has it "The front jaw seems rather wimpy to project so high above the screw."  Takes the lever Advantage to the least effective also if  higher up a heavier channel with decent bearing area where the flange runs on the base plate and the nut captured in a pocket will lessen the binding.

Eric

Offline j1312v

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »
Youtube can wipe an afternoon of your life Shipto if you are not careful  :thumbup:

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:12 AM »
Interesting :dremel: but for me this is the ultimate shopmade bench vice  :drool:

It's certainly a very nice shiny vice, but am I the only one who was a little bit sad that he left no trace of the fact it was made from surplus railway rail? IMHO it would have been much cooler if it'd still looked a bit railway line ish when it was finished... plus it would have a story to tell.

Still, it's a fine looking vice at the end of the day, there's no denying the workmanship that went into it!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 04:48:49 AM »
Nice vice.

Nice channel as well. While there is a time for the much more slower shows going into the detail of every single hole being bored, sometimes this high-throughput "getter done" attitude is very well received on this end.  :headbang:

I've long since given up tracking the amount of projects in my basement that ran their course due to simply being forgotten. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, it's not like it's saving lifes what I do down there, but still.  :scratch:  :whip:

Offline edward

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
just the music on both channels enough to put me off :)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 05:29:57 PM »
just the music on both channels enough to put me off :)
music? usually watch while better half is watching tv so no sound on.

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
OK, How many man hours??  That thing is a beast.

I will say that I DID see welding undercuts, or "V"ing when he was welding.  I'm teaching myself to weld with a 90 amp flux core rig.  So please don't even think I know WTH I'm talking about.
No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »
OK, How many man hours??  That thing is a beast.

I will say that I DID see welding undercuts, or "V"ing when he was welding.  I'm teaching myself to weld with a 90 amp flux core rig.  So please don't even think I know WTH I'm talking about.
wow talk about learning the hard way, however if its what you have then crack on it will make for a even better experience if you ever get the chance to use a professional rig.