Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Roller Project

(1/3) > >>

smthrll:
I was hoping to get some input from some folks on a project I'd like to tackle.  I'm still new to machining and I roughed out a sketch that I hope will help explain.  I'd like to create:
- although shown as 2 separate rollers, the inertia roller will be placed inside the outer roller
- the inertia roller will have bearings pressed into the ends (shown in blue), and it will spin on a fixed shaft.
- the stub on the inertia roller will protrude beyond the outer roller, so it can be driven by a belt

My question:
- can I press a bearing in the outer roller and have it ride on the inertia roller's stub
- I'm guessing there will be a problem with the bearing rubbing on the face of the inertia roller - I'm not sure of the proper way to create a gap between the bearing and the face of the internal roller.  The inertia roller will be running about 3x faster than the outer roller.   I thought maybe leaving a bit of a raised surface on the stub shaft to ride against the inner ring of the bearing. 

My apologies to all the engineers and machinists that are doing a face palm right now....

Rollie

awemawson:
It probably me being slow on the uptake, but I'm having a problem visulising what you are trying to achieve.

It seems to me you are trying to construct three elements, all mutually co-axial and separated by bearing races, is this the case?

Perhaps were you to reveal your application it would be clearer as I've no idea what an inertia roller is!

mattinker:
Like Andrew I don't know what an inertia roller is!
To prevent the face of the outer bearing touching the "inertia roller, you can either space it away with a washer or leave a small step on the end of the said "inertia" roller.
Maybe I'm completely off the track!!

Regards, Matthew

smthrll:
Thanks for the replies.  You are on the right track completely and have described the question better than I.

-project is for the back roller for a set of bicycle rollers.  It is a trainer that allows the rider to bike as if he was outdoors.  I've attached a picture of Trutrainer's product.  It has an internal flywheel in the last roller - this allows the rider to coast, as the inertia keeps driving the outer drum on the middle roller even when stopped pedaling.

So yes, all 3 elements are mutually coaxial and separated by bearing races.  Maybe a washer or a small step is all I need for separation?  I was worried about wearing out the bearing race of the outer roller rubbing on the end face of the inertia roller. 

I can understand the roller rotating on a fixed shaft, but I wasn't sure if there's problems with the outer roller rotating on another spinning shaft.  Tried reading the SKF bearing catalogue - bearings are actually pretty complex.  Once everything is assembled, there is really no way to provide lubrication. 

Rollie

awemawson:
Probably just a collar or thick washer is all you need.  :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version