Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

A useful 3D print

(1/6) > >>

Joules:
It's been a while since I posted any 3D prints, so heres something I squirted earlier...
I was looking at the lathe tool setting devices from Edge Technology and of course, anything that can be machined in alloy can be printed in plastic  :ddb:

Before making a start I did a search to see if anyone else had done one.  This popped up on Thingyverse, it's a useful starting point.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1010033

I loaded the IGS file and looked round to see what parts I had to hand.   Inline skate bearings, a cheap plastic level that came with a set of Bosch drills.  I actually scored 3 vials in the level, but opted to use the 25mm x 10mm one.   This didn't match the one used in the 3D model I just downloaded.  A bit of time in Rhino got me a useable model that would also make use of my bearing.

I output the model as an STL file to Simplfy3D (use whatever slicer) to configure the print as i wanted it and orient parts.  The slicer also added some internal support for the print, shown in grey.

Off to the printer for a couple of hours, whilst the dog gets a walk and we make tea.

The printed parts and other bits ready for assembly, well... just push them together really.  The body needed the 5mm hole tapping to take a bolt I had earlier polished flat on a diamond stone.

Here is the first test of the components together, I need to set the screw with nail varnish and probably glue the plug in too with varnish.  The vial is a firm push fit so no worries over that falling out or getting out of alignment.  It's just resting on the shank of an 8mm drill for now, I will make a proper shaft for it to go on later.  Other than the print time it was pretty much a couple of hours work and hopefully a useful tool for the lathes.

JayMcClellan:
Very cool Joules, I might just make one like it. Thanks for posting.

Jay

Pete49:
Nice one Joules. Ideal for those with multiple lathes. I use a simple tool made years ago but I think I'll print this one just because I can and have 2 lathes
Pete

awemawson:
Very neat Jules  :thumbup:

(But when my 3D printer turns up I'll not make one as I have the original from Edge !)

John Rudd:
Very impressive!   :bow:

Thinking of getting one of them 3d printerwotchyamakallits meself.....but being an old dog learning is going to be very tedious....

STL files?....is that like a rough cut file?  :lol:
Rhino, aint that a wild animal thing?..... :doh:

Oh so much to learn...... :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version