Author Topic: Limited Mill Choice Here In New Zealand  (Read 7733 times)

Offline CNCKiwi

Limited Mill Choice Here In New Zealand
« on: May 04, 2017, 03:18:27 AM »
Hi everyone from New Zealand,
This is my first post to the forum. I came here after watching DoubleBoosts (Johns) Youtube Videos. I learn't so much.

Anyway to the point.
I already have a lathe and am now looking at Mills available here in New Zealand. We have limited options and I have narrowed it down to either the:
Optimum BF20LV or the Optimum MH-28V
http://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/Turret-Milling-Machines

Also the Cammac ZX45
http://www.machine.co.nz/lathes-milling-machines-and-machine-tools-WB/mill-drill-geared-head-cammac-zx45-28491

I would prefer the ZX45 as its more robust/stronger but the spindle speed isn't very fast. Approx. 1600rpm max.
I want to be able to machine both steel and aluminium.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Kevin Campkin

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Limited Mill Choice Here In New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 03:48:32 AM »
Welcome aboard Kevin  :thumbup:

I look forward to hearing all about your projects as you build your workshop up
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Biggles

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 04:10:38 AM »
Welcome Kevin.  :wave:

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 04:16:41 AM »
Hi Kevin, the ZX45 would be my choice if using the R8 taper. 4MT is an odd size, especially if your lathe has a 3MT.   As to speed, you can add a high speed spindle to the mill later on, if needed.  I couldn't find the max Z height in the info.

Very long time ex-Christchurch resident.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 04:41:54 AM »
Hi Kevin, welcome from me too....
As for mill choice, I'm  with Joules on the ZX45 if I were to make a choice....
Personally I have one of the 626 style machines and find it very good.....now I've modified it to meet my needs..   :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline CNCKiwi

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 06:51:59 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the answers so far......
Forgot to mention we also have the Sieg range of mills and lathes here in New Zealand.

Regards
Kevin Campkin

Offline Joules

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 07:21:37 AM »
In that case I really like the Sieg SX2.7L if a smaller mill will do.  I am sold on the benefits of brushless motors.

Check out the Frank Hoose videos on YouTube.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
I am with Joules. I like the 2.7L, I am in the process of converting my X2 to 2.7 specs.

That said, if you need and want the larger mill, like the ZX45, many people have replaced the motor with one that fits with what they machine.

Either way, stick with a R8 spindle.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
Hi Kevin, the ZX45 would be my choice if using the R8 taper. 4MT is an odd size, especially if your lathe has a 3MT.   As to speed, you can add a high speed spindle to the mill later on, if needed.  I couldn't find the max Z height in the info.

Very long time ex-Christchurch resident.

Interesting! I might suggest that it would be worth finding out what the "home" market is like. I was looking in the UK for a Bridgeport, as I couldn't find anything much here in France when I stumbled upon a H Ernault SOAMUA universal mill, SA40 spindle, which turned out to be a really good thing as R8s are rare as the proverbial rocking horse ..... Never looked back, second-hand tooling, mostly out of schools, very plentiful.

Just a thought, Matthew

Offline Steamer5

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
Hi Kevin,
 Went down this route a couple of years ago. I got a REALLY good deal on a Sieg SX4. Wifey told me to do it right & do it once, so I got the DRO, X feed & cabinet too......well she did say!

I went the R8 route as the tooling is readily available, the only issue being you can get 12mm or 7/16 thread in the end, just need two draw bars.

Got it thru Auckland, just had to wait 3 months on the slow boat....but that's ok!

Cheers Kerrin

Cheers

Kerrin

Offline CNCKiwi

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 02:57:43 AM »
Hi Kerrin(steamer5)
How have you found the SX4 to be.
How do you get on with cutting steel. Can the mill cope ok or do you have to take really light cuts.......

As you probably understand I don't want to invest in something which isn't going to be upto the job.

Regards
Kevin Campkin

Offline CNCKiwi

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 03:06:43 AM »
Hi all,
I suppose really I ought to introduce myself a bit more.

We emigrated from the UK to NZ nearly 11 years ago for the better life. At present I'm working as a CNC operator/programmer for a small firm in New Plymouth.
A fews years ago now I started to build a few machines starting off with a MDF CNC router.
I soon progressed to all aluminium machines for the rigidity.
Then the next machine was a CNC laser cutter and finally I built a 3D printer which I've recently built another but a more sophisticated machine.
Since those early days I now have a small fabrication business using all 3 machines making various parts and prototyping.
Here's my Youtube channel(which I wish I havd the time to do more videos):
videos

Regards
Kevin Campkin

Offline Steamer5

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 03:47:57 AM »
Hi Kevin,
 It's a very small world! Same town!

Have to catch up for a chat sometime.

The SX 4 is a decent size machine.

Spec here....  http://www.sieg-machines.co.nz/mills-manual/219-sieg-sx4-digi-mill-new-generation.html

The mill & I are getting on fine! It knows more about milling than me, so I tend to take it a bit light most of the time, the few times I've pushed a bit more than my normal it's done fine!

Cheers Kerrin
Cheers

Kerrin

Offline CNCKiwi

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 08:59:20 PM »
Hi Kevin,
 It's a very small world! Same town!

Have to catch up for a chat sometime.

The SX 4 is a decent size machine.

Spec here....  http://www.sieg-machines.co.nz/mills-manual/219-sieg-sx4-digi-mill-new-generation.html

The mill & I are getting on fine! It knows more about milling than me, so I tend to take it a bit light most of the time, the few times I've pushed a bit more than my normal it's done fine!

Cheers Kerrin

Hi Kerrin,
Thats a nice Mill although its more than my budget I want to spend.
I see the rpm's on that mill are the same as the ZX45 I'm looking at.

Do you do much aluminium work and find the 1600 rpm's enough?

Regards
Kevin

Offline PK

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 10:39:39 PM »
Whilst Al is softer and can be cut at higher speeds, my experience with owning hobby scale mills is that small cutter diameters is really what drives you to lust after faster spindles.  If your 'big' cutters are 12mm, then you are going to end up at very low feed rates on most of your cuts.  I do a lot of Al and 2500 on the main spindle is OK, bit not great for the 6-12mm cutters I use..

PK

Offline CNCKiwi

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 02:12:07 AM »
Whilst Al is softer and can be cut at higher speeds, my experience with owning hobby scale mills is that small cutter diameters is really what drives you to lust after faster spindles.  If your 'big' cutters are 12mm, then you are going to end up at very low feed rates on most of your cuts.  I do a lot of Al and 2500 on the main spindle is OK, bit not great for the 6-12mm cutters I use..

PK

Hi there PK,
Thats interesting.
What Mill do you have?

Regards
Kevin

Offline PK

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 05:03:18 AM »
What Mill do you have?

Kev, it's a little hard to put a name on it.. We started with an X3, then http://www.caswa.com/cncathome/X3.html there have been quite a few mods since then, the latest being http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11336.msg134790.html#msg134790

PK

Offline CNCKiwi

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 03:07:00 AM »
Hi all,

Another week and still no decision. If anything I'm getting more and more confused as to what model mill to go for.........

Offline Steamer5

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 04:52:24 AM »
Hi Kevin,
 Sorry for the slow reply. Although I've had the mill for awhile it hasn't got that many hours on it. I did however make a new table for my bandsaw. I made 300 square out of 13 mm plate. The mill squared it up, cut the blade slot & slot cover including the rounded end with no problem what so ever! Plus clean d up & sized the other bits I needed for the table. Pretty sure I could of pushed the feeds a bit faster than I did & it would of been quite happy.

Cheers Kerrin
Cheers

Kerrin

Offline PK

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 06:56:04 AM »
Hi all,

Another week and still no decision. If anything I'm getting more and more confused as to what model mill to go for.........
Don't rule out importing a unit. Sea freight isn't as much hassle as you might think..

Whatever you decide, remember this. The mill that you standing in front of making chips is better than the one you haven't made your mind up about yet....