The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

How to glue PA to FR4?

(1/2) > >>

PekkaNF:
Trying to fix blue tooth loudspeaker for my wife. Micro USB power connector was shot. I replaced it JST XHP connector, but it has no mechanical fastening. Circuit board had no provision for trough holes - I bent pins to surface mount.

So, how do I glue glass filled nylon to circuit board?

Pekka

John Rudd:
Have you tried cyano? ( superglue...)

Joules:
If you can drill a couple of holes either side of the USB, coat in hot glue and get glue through holes to form a natural rivet.   Otherwise, Araldite.

PK:
There are two techniques we use commercially:
1: Hot melt glue.  For a quick fix its hard to beat.  The idea is to use enough that you pot the connector into the case. If you just use it to stick two things together it will eventually fail..  It's good because its viscous enough not to flow into places it shouldn't

2: Neutral cure silicone sealant.  We use cases of the stuff for things like sticking large components down to boards and securing wires. It sticks very well to most things. It'll feel too flexible for the first week, then it will harden up quite a lot...

PekkaNF:
I have used super glue it's really hit and miss, often it does not work. I use IPA to clean PA, but something with superglue and most epoxies and nylon.....maybe the glue joint is just to rigid for flexible nylon?

Hot glue I have used before and thanks to PK's confirmation I'll have confidence to use it between the connector and the board.

Silicone sealant I haven't used before with nylon....I'll put dabs between the case and connector to make the connector more resistant to bending. If just find one neutral one. I probably have few tubes of polyurethane glues for various purposes, but haven't used silicone for ages.

Thank you
Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version