Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

Lathe Tools from Oil Hardening Steel

(1/3) > >>

DeanDK:
So I needed to make some small/unique lathe tools for the watchmakers lathe.

I used precision ground flat stock/gauge plate. They actually turned out better than I had expected.

I shaped them using basic hand saw and hand files.

Was really only for brass, however, I made a tool for steel and turned silver steel quite well.

Very happy with them. Anyone else ever tried this?

Joules:
Hi Dean, I make my own tools from silver steel and oil harden them.  They are used a lot for the plastic components I machine, but they also work for brass and alloy parts too.  I do however lap them on a leather wheel with oil and metal polish.  I also keep a fine diamond stone handy to dress the tools as needed during use.  Enjoy your videos too.

:thumbup: 

DeanDK:
That is interesting! Do you use silver steel rod or do they come in square too? 

Nice I envy highly finished tools!

I was really impressed with how these tools turned out, and so easy to shape. I was guessing that is how they were back in the day before HSS?

Thanks Joules  :thumbup:  :D

Joules:
I machine from silver steel rod, then hand figure depending on whats needed.  If its a form tool I will drill through the rod and work round the hole to form a radius tool, or more holes for something more complex.   I use silver steel as it's what I have to hand, not got any gauge plate.  I make press tools from silver steel to use in the arbour press, and they are oil hardened.

A little off topic, but the tools are machined and oil hardened (10W-30 motor oil).  I take stainless tig wire and heat to red let it cool naturally so its soft.  I can roughly bend the shape with my fingers then size the ring in the press tool, that helps work harden the ring a little.  It's used in some bespoke parts I make and sell.  I do a batch of 25 rings at a time, the tool has made a few hundred parts now.  So you're not just limited to lathe tools.

tom osselton:
Nice video thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version