Author Topic: Lathe Tools from Oil Hardening Steel  (Read 7557 times)

Offline DeanDK

Lathe Tools from Oil Hardening Steel
« on: May 10, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »
So I needed to make some small/unique lathe tools for the watchmakers lathe.

I used precision ground flat stock/gauge plate. They actually turned out better than I had expected.

I shaped them using basic hand saw and hand files.

Was really only for brass, however, I made a tool for steel and turned silver steel quite well.

Very happy with them. Anyone else ever tried this?

Offline Joules

Re: Lathe Tools from Oil Hardening Steel
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
Hi Dean, I make my own tools from silver steel and oil harden them.  They are used a lot for the plastic components I machine, but they also work for brass and alloy parts too.  I do however lap them on a leather wheel with oil and metal polish.  I also keep a fine diamond stone handy to dress the tools as needed during use.  Enjoy your videos too.

:thumbup: 
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline DeanDK

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
That is interesting! Do you use silver steel rod or do they come in square too? 

Nice I envy highly finished tools!

I was really impressed with how these tools turned out, and so easy to shape. I was guessing that is how they were back in the day before HSS?

Thanks Joules  :thumbup:  :D

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »
I machine from silver steel rod, then hand figure depending on whats needed.  If its a form tool I will drill through the rod and work round the hole to form a radius tool, or more holes for something more complex.   I use silver steel as it's what I have to hand, not got any gauge plate.  I make press tools from silver steel to use in the arbour press, and they are oil hardened.

A little off topic, but the tools are machined and oil hardened (10W-30 motor oil).  I take stainless tig wire and heat to red let it cool naturally so its soft.  I can roughly bend the shape with my fingers then size the ring in the press tool, that helps work harden the ring a little.  It's used in some bespoke parts I make and sell.  I do a batch of 25 rings at a time, the tool has made a few hundred parts now.  So you're not just limited to lathe tools.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »
Nice video thanks!

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »
What you Brits call silver steel is called tool steel here in the States.  It (here, at least) is available in rounds, square, and rectangular shapes with fair distribution.

Offline DeanDK

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »
I machine from silver steel rod, then hand figure depending on whats needed.  If its a form tool I will drill through the rod and work round the hole to form a radius tool, or more holes for something more complex.   I use silver steel as it's what I have to hand, not got any gauge plate.  I make press tools from silver steel to use in the arbour press, and they are oil hardened.

A little off topic, but the tools are machined and oil hardened (10W-30 motor oil).  I take stainless tig wire and heat to red let it cool naturally so its soft.  I can roughly bend the shape with my fingers then size the ring in the press tool, that helps work harden the ring a little.  It's used in some bespoke parts I make and sell.  I do a batch of 25 rings at a time, the tool has made a few hundred parts now.  So you're not just limited to lathe tools.
:thumbup: That is great. I believe that will come in handy for me in the not so distance future for making other tools. Thanks for sharing

Nice video thanks!

Thanks man

What you Brits call silver steel is called tool steel here in the States.  It (here, at least) is available in rounds, square, and rectangular shapes with fair distribution.

I'm in Australia and call it Silver Steel, but we are the Brits criminal cousins haha..

Interesting, do you also call it drill rod as well? I actually thought it was. Well that is what I have been describing it in the past  :doh:

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
Interesting, do you also call it drill rod as well? I actually thought it was. Well that is what I have been describing it in the past  :doh:

Here in the States, at least, drill rod is round bar tool steel.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
So what do you make square drills  from Lew  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline efrench

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »

Square may be a little hard, but flat stock is used to make drills.  Holtzopffel's five volumes show the tools in use in the 1800's.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »

Regardless of the use, I call-out and order it as tool steel (per AISI specification.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »
DeanDK, drill rod is called drill rod here, too.  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline sparky961

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »
On the drawings I see daily, it's referred to as O1.  There are tool steels with other designations that we use as well: A2, D2, H13.  Of course, everyone here also knows that when you say "Drill Rod", you're generally meaning O1.

O1 is common and readily available in lots of different shapes here.  It isn't the nicest stuff to harden with a torch, as it has the tendency to warp after quenching even if you're careful.  This may be fixed with tempering, but for our uses we don't bother with that step.  I've noticed a very slight size increase after hardening most of the time, but this wouldn't be of concern in a cutting tool.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
Drill rod is drill rod. It is round and comes in oil hardening and water hardening varieties.

I've ordered and used lots of water hardening drill rod over the last 15 years, and have plenty on hand now..
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
Drill rod is drill rod. It is round and comes in oil hardening and water hardening varieties.

It also comes in Air Hardening varieties (including Shock Resisting).