The Shop > CNC

Which CAD/CAM to learn 3D design and use 3D printer and CNC mill

(1/12) > >>

PekkaNF:
This has been a long term plan to learn how to "draft" on 3D.

Real design probrams are very expensive, then there is some free programs. I have no idea how to choose right one.

1: Main interest is to learn how to use 3D design software to design "things". Mainly tools.

2: Always wanted to learn CNC, but wife would banish me if I would bring even a small router into spare bedroom....3D printer might be a little less noisy, smelly, smokey, obstructive etc.

3: However, goal is to eventually build small CNC mill.

What I am looking for is a clear CAD/CAM/Slicer path from idea to physical part, without massive loss of money, time and nerves.

Pekka

awemawson:
Pekka,

My bits I've been making on my Cetus 3D printer have all been drawn in Fusion 360, which is free to the hobbyist. I have also made bits on my CNC mill with it.

It is very comprehensive, and when you learn it it will do most things, but I am still getting to grips with it and it is rather a struggle, but I am getting there - made this bung to block up a hole in my Beaver Partsmaster CNC mill that I bored years ago to facilitate wiring up my Servo Driven 4th Axis

It came out quite nicely in a blue plastic  :clap:

PekkaNF:
Thank you Andrew,

I have been looking at fusion few days, just haven't made up my mind yet. I was told that it has free cam and slicer too - among other things.

I noticed that it has some tutorials on YT and they look decent. Maybe I just should have a go for it.

How is the actual blue print?

Pekka

awemawson:
The only downside with Fusion360 is that it demands a 64 bit machine - I had to source one specially as all my others are 32 bit  :scratch:

The bung turned out ok as per picture below

efrench:
I don't think any other CAD/CAM program comes close to Fusion 360 in cost/performance.

Here's a video showing 3d printed gears in action on a Rose Engine.

And a Fusion 360 file showing similar gears.

A video with a glimpse of a delta 3d printer effector designed in Fusion 360 and milled on a home shop made CNC router.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version