The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

high return financial investment (off topic)

(1/4) > >>

BillTodd:
No, I'm not trying to sell you insurance! but…

I've just bought a new fridge freezer. The old one hadn't missed a beat in 15 years but the fan in the fridge had become a little noisy and i had been monitoring it's power consumption (about 600kwh per annum) so thougut i could find a better one.

After looking around i decided on another bosch , their only 600mm wide A+++ model,  bought from a local retailer for less and quicker than the big shed stores (because they don't stock that model)

checking its power consumption, it is working out to be about the manufacturers specification (maybe a bit less) at about 135kwh per year. Now that represents a saving of more than £50 a year , or about a 10% return on investment  , which is 10% more than you'll get from the bank!

So, got an old fridge ? check its power consumption and do the maths.

Bill

PekkaNF:
The only thing is that new fridges don't last. Incidently my friend bought a Bosch and he sas that it is othervice fine, but it gurgles a lot...he had to move into other bedroom not to wake up on refrigerator snoring.

Pekka

BillTodd:
odd, the old one usd to gurgle and clank (sometimes quite loud)   and occasionally woke me in the middle of the night with a annoyinh hum. This new one sort of purrs . For a while i wondered if it was really working.

Bill

PekkaNF:
Some old ones thumped when they start or stop, new ones seem to be more cililized on that one. Some people at work complain the newer ones gugle and make wooshes, maybe is tis different refrigegant or something.

Nice taht you got the quiet one. My friend bought some years back nice stainsless steel clean fat american lookking model and he was annoyed. But what is annoying can be very individual thing.

Pekka

awemawson:
We have a 'fridge, and three chest freezers in a well insulated brick built outbuilding used as a utility kitchen room and meat preparation area. Other than the 'fridge and freezers there is no other heating.

Now the chest freezers are fairly modern so their energy rating is reasonable, but the 'fridge is fairly old and clanky, but only gets turned on when I have bacon to dry cure which is perhaps twice a year.

So were I to get super efficient 'fridge and freezers I'd have to arrange some form of heating. Losses are not always total  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version