Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Sandblasting gun air nozzle

(1/3) > >>

AdeV:
A friend of mine has a sandblasting cabinet, 2 guns, and in both the inner air nozzle is worn out. New ones only cost £5 each, but he's very tight & resents paying that for something which will wear out again... plus, he wants to learn to use the lathe, so making a steel one seems like an amusing project.

Since you only seem to be able to buy brass nozzles, I got to wondering.... why? Does brass abrade more slowly than steel? Why not coat one with some kind of rubberised paint, since rubber seems to resist sandblasting with pretty much anything (I presume the media just bounces off it)?

Anyway, I'm going to make a steel nozzle out of some ghastly grabby steel I've got lying around just to prove the concept, but if anyone can shed any light on why brass seems to be the preferred material?

Also... seems like a good excuse to start working on the CNC lathe again. I reckon that with a bar feeder added, I could turn these things out by the bucket load, sell them for £4.50, I'd only need to make a few hundred and the lathe's paid for  :thumbup:

I'll just add that to the project list.... oh, seems the book is full, better buy another one!

awemawson:
Stack up some old carbide inserts and use the central hole as your nozzle - not a lot comes harder than those inserts  :thumbup:

AdeV:

--- Quote from: awemawson on June 29, 2017, 08:34:15 AM ---Stack up some old carbide inserts and use the central hole as your nozzle - not a lot comes harder than those inserts  :thumbup:

--- End quote ---

I was reading somewhere else that carbide is the preferred nozzle & wears very slowly... but that was for the outer nozzle, not the inner one (the one that creates the venturi). Does that nozzle need to be nozzle shaped, or will a simple pipe shape do the job?

awemawson:
The venturi on my blaster is at the other end of a 25 foot pipe so the nozzle forms no part of the suction other than limiting flow  :scratch:

Ed ke6bnl:
not sure what you are doing but ebay has some chinese guns with ceramic nozzles for about $15 and the replacement nozzles are cheap. they seem to work ok 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version