Author Topic: rust prevention  (Read 6465 times)

Offline speedibee

rust prevention
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
I have a vat to strip rust from tools etc ,it's sulfuric acid ,and I run current trough the objects . is there any way of stopping rust forming within minutes of removing things from the acid ?
You are  never alone with Schizophrenia

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: rust prevention
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »
Rinse, dry with towels, and oil?

ps. why dangerous sulfuric acid with current, instead of sodium carbonate (washing soda)?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline speedibee

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:51:15 AM »
I have heard of some stuff called De-ox ,and was wondering what it was ?
You are  never alone with Schizophrenia

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »
I have heard of some stuff called De-ox ,and was wondering what it was ?

Look it up on the internet?
Steve

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »
This one?
https://msdsreport.com/msds/bgjzv

Or is this different?
http://www.bilthamber.com/deox-c

Sounds awfully lot like citric accid :lol:

Secret is to remove first grease and grime.

Lately I have used vinegar from grocery store. It is 10% ready-to-use solution, then nylon brush, hot rinse, towel dry/shake  and light oil. You better use gloves or you will smelled pickle.

Missing that every household has scale/lime tea kettle remover. Mild mix of phosphoric acid and citric acid.

Pekka

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
Yes, acids work, and are particularly useful for removing mill scale from hot rolled steel stock......

but he is using electrolysis to remove surface rust from tools, where a small amount of washing soda (sodium carbonate) available at grocery stores, added to water is all that's necessary.

His problem is that tools he treated, rust immediately on exposure to air, naturally, since he used a powerful acid. Plus,  a vat of the stuff will emit fumes and also rust anything remotely nearby in the shed, even if he covers the vat, unless somehow absolutely airtight. Sulfuric acid  also presents a disposal problem. I'm just not getting the use of sulfuric acid PLUS electrolysis to remove simple surface rust.  :scratch:
Steve

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »
SpeediBee -- (1) After neutralizing the acid, rinse with alcohol and blow-dry.  (2) Wipe the part thoroughly with a waxed rag to build up a "waxed surface" on the part.  [I use Treewax -- an American brand of floor wax for this task.]  This is how I "treat" all my (dressed and sized) steel stock stored in my "racks."  It even works here in Washington State where the "joke" is that We don't tan, we rust.

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
Ambersil Corrosion Inhibitor spray.

Cheap, easily available, and it works.
We spray the precision slides on machine tools with it and lock them away in fusty, damp shipping containers.

Drag them out, sometimes years later, and there is never a spot of rust.

A quick wipe with a paraffin rag and the coating is gone, leaving clean metal underneath.

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
After removing from acid and rinsing put in hot water. It won't rust for a few minutes and will get hot!. Then when you take it out and dry with towel or hairdryer it will evaporate the residual water quicker but probably still tarnish. Paint with a little phosphoric acid which will take off the flash rust but needs to be wiped off a few minutes later with a damp rag and warm air. The thin phosphate coat will reduce the tendency to flash rust. Finally protect with thinned clear waxoyle for stock or tool bodies and beeswax (not silicone containing furniture polish) for handles etc that you touch. Hairspray used to be a possible short term protection but now I think the eco-warriors have made them water based which doesn't help.