Author Topic: Centurion now 4 in 1!  (Read 3088 times)

Offline dvbydt

Centurion now 4 in 1!
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »
My little anvil has been without a suitable mounting stump for some time. A friend donated a perfectly sized one but one of the end faces was out of square. Rather than mounting it on a faceplate and facing the end, I clamped it to the lathe bed and used the tailstock centre to hold it firmly.
With the column clamps loose and a fly cutter in the collet chuck,  the Centurion becomes a swing arm router! A few passes and jiggling about an I had a fairly flat, square face. Four long 10mm  coach screws were used to mount the 150mm long rail section.
I use it on a concrete floor, not the table in the photo. It is more convenient and has a nice ring to it,  much better than the "dong" from the flat face on the back of my vice (vise).

Ian

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Centurion now 4 in 1!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »
Nice job!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »
Is that cherry?

First glimpse I thought it was pine, then closer look black birch, but I don't even know what country you're in, and that's native to NE U.S. And the end grain is weathered, so impossible to tell from that.

But the outer bark is saying cherry to me. Dunno..... whatzit?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 01:25:06 PM »
Ian's profile shows he's in Boston, Lincs (UK).

From the bark, I would wonder if it was Sitka Spruce or similar?

Dave (IOM)

Offline dvbydt

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »
Steve - probably Larch. It is an unseasoned softwood of some sort. My standard way of dealing with newly acquired green wood is to apply 3 or 4 coats of builder's PVA adhesive all over causing the wood to dry out slower and saving cracking in the end grain. This is probably the cause of the "weathering" you saw in the photo.

Dave - thanks for the heads up. We moved to Shropshire about eight months ago, so I have at last updated my profile. My Grandson says my avatar is an "Ironman" engine. It is just an upside down single cylinder compressed air engine. 

Ian

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
Larch, well I'll be. I think that's the same as what we call Tamarak or Hackmatak. Does it lose its needles in the fall?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline dvbydt

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
Steve - I had to look up your trees, but yes same species (Larix). To be honest I just needed a stump for my little anvil anything would have done  :).