Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Propane Burner

(1/3) > >>

NormanV:
A few years ago when I built my furnace for melting aluminium, I also built a burner to use propane. The design of the burner was a bit of a guess but it has been totally successful. It is simply a 1" tube with air holes and a 1mm jet for the gas.
What I have found though is that it works perfectly in the kiln but if I withdraw it, to use it for brazing,  the flame moves away from the end of the tube and goes out. I did read somewhere that fitting a cone on the end of the tube would help. I made a very crude cone from tin plate and indeed it did the trick, albeit a very broad and ragged flame. I have lost the cone and would like to make a proper attachment for the burner to allow me to do brazing. I have made a straight tube, larger in size, that fits onto it but the flame just blows out when I try to light it. Has anybody any suggestions on what I could do to make it burn out in the open and not just in the furnace?
Thanks, Norman

NormanV:
I think that I have partially solved the problem myself. I covered over most of the holes and now get a flame that stays alight but is a bit on the large size for the brazing that I want to do.

mattinker:
Norman,

Here is a photo of a burner that I made recently, it is based on Michael Porters excelent book "Gas burners for forges Furnaces and Kilns" this is a 3/4", it uses a 1" spacer (1" pipe size) and a piece of stainless that I reduced to fit on the outside. 75mm long is about right for the length, and, it doesn't need to be conical if it has the spacer. A 1" pipe burner uses 1 1/4 spacer and 1 1/2" stainless  for the "flare". Stainless stands up to the heat far better!

NormanV:
Matt, that looks quite a bit more complicated than mine. When the sliding part is back and covering the slots does it pull air in at the back through the cone and do you get a nice conical blue flame?

mattinker:
Norman,

the 'micky" burner is very efficient, the 3/4" when running wide open gives a nice conical flame 6 to 8" long. you can make it run lower, but this is for a small forge that I hope will get up to welding temperature!
Mickey's book starts with a 1/2" burner that will silver braze and works up to a 1 1/4" for ceramic kiln use!

I haven't made any videos yet, but there are a few on Youtube

Regards, Matthew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version