Author Topic: An idea for drill sharpening jig  (Read 110189 times)

Offline MrSleepy

Re: An idea for drill sharpening jig
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
Achim

Your "relatively simple" mini bonelle fixture looks beautiful... It doesnt deserve to be covered in grinding dust etc.

Rob

Offline Joachim Steinke

• metallmodellbau.de
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
Rob,

okay, at first sight some parts of the Mini Bonelle grinder (and some of my other tooling) may appear mainly build for showcase use only, but normally all my projects are intend to have a real practical and frequent use in my home shop.

Naturally building some of the components from 7075 Aluminium and Bronze is not as robust for daily use as having made the complete apparatus from cast iron and carbon tool steel. In fact there are really no problems with rigidity, 7075 Aluminium has a mechanical strength comparable to mild steel, so with a suitably design and the right dimensions all will work well.

I have to be a bit careful with grinding dust on the sliding surfaces, but keeping the moving parts well greased and cleaning things after every session helps a lot. I am operating with this little grinder for several months now and had no problems with the sliding parts up to now. And as my normally used CBN and DIA wheels don’t produce that lot of swirling around abrasive dust as normal corundum wheels the whole dust problem is not so dramatic. But sometimes I although have to dress a corundum wheel with the diamond dresser and that is always a real big mess. For this part a vacuum cleaner can help a little, but this sort of dust is real evil and hardly to tame. That’s the reason I always try to sneak out of this procedure as long as possible when I need to do it…..ha ha ha ha…...

Perhaps I should explain a bit of the circumstances witch determines my work and my design. My little machine shop is not located in a building extension or in a garage, it’s located in my second floor apartment.

So I operate with only small “toy” equipment, all things are done with a Proxxon PD360 and a Schaublin70 lathe and a Proxxon FF400 mill, larger machine tools would create some real problems depending on noisemaking, machine dimensions and machine weights. That limits the possibilities of work piece dimensions and also limits the exclusive usage of high strength steel for my machined parts. Okay, I use steel if it’s real necessary, and with a lot of endurance and the proper tooling you can mill carbon steel even on a Proxxon FF400. But to generate the larger components from 7075 Aluminium makes really more fun and saves a lot of time with a small mill like mine.

Being specially interested building tools and fixtures for my own machining purpose I desired a universal tool grinder for a long time. I although have several bench grinders with convenient swivelling tool rests, but for most of all grinding tasks a universal grinder with a linear moving table is simply the first choice.

Unfortunately, a full grown grinder like the Cincinatti No.1 or the Norton Universal etc. does not fit in my shop, believe me, I wish it would. Anyway, so I started to build the Mini Bonelle, which is a neat and handy grinder for table top use but with most of all opportunities the bigger and professional types offer. If you can live with the limited dimensions (13mm collets capacity) nearly all operations on tool sharpening and new tool grinding are realisable. The range goes from all sorts of drills, end mills, reamers, d-bit engravers and turning tools to special things like gear cutters and other experimental form tools. But relief faces on the circumference of helical tools can not be treated, for such tasks I would have to build a new linear sliding spindle for the main work head.

Anyway, for me the MB offers a good experimenting and testing base for a lot of tooling ideas, or otherwise said, it’s always a nice toy to play with……ha ha ha……

Bye, Achim

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 11:16:30 PM »
Achim,
I just spent over an hour on your website. I can't read German, but the pictures kept me involved. You do great work and documentation. I would recommend everyone check it out.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
Achim,
I just spent over an hour on your website. I can't read German, but the pictures kept me involved. You do great work and documentation. I would recommend everyone check it out.

I'll second to that. I wish it was in english too... as there seems to be a whole lot of information :coffee:.

In the meantime, I'll take a break of the drill sharpening-thing, and maybe get my main project finished(among others).

Anyway, this thread is always open to any kind of ideas, that relates to subject. Feel free to post :thumbup:.

Offline Tinker

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »
 :offtopic:

Wow...

Um...

:lol:
Pimp the China twisting

Universal spindle second, or it goes also whisper-quietly and compactly

Comfortably sharpen is worthwhile oneself

I think Babelfish just broke my brain.

Somebody fluent in both languages needs to volunteer to translate Achims site for him.  There seems to be a hell of a lot of useful information there.