The Shop > Our Shop

Small Shops and Tiny Toolboxes

<< < (5/5)

Nicolas Hulme:

--- Quote from: sparky961 on September 02, 2017, 06:55:38 PM ---I'm interested in exploring the opposite.  If you were to make your shop smaller and smaller, and have the fewest amount of tools to do something useful, what would you keep? 

--- End quote ---

None of it, it would cease to be capable of the work I wish to do and thus become pointless.

sparky961:

--- Quote from: Nicolas Hulme on January 08, 2018, 06:23:21 PM ---None of it, it would cease to be capable of the work I wish to do and thus become pointless.

--- End quote ---

As much as I love technology and gadgets, I can't help but feel a craftsperson who creates marvelous works with a minimum of tools is far ahead of one augmented with a fully appointed shop.

gerritv:

--- Quote from: sparky961 on January 20, 2018, 03:21:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nicolas Hulme on January 08, 2018, 06:23:21 PM ---None of it, it would cease to be capable of the work I wish to do and thus become pointless.

--- End quote ---

As much as I love technology and gadgets, I can't help but feel a craftsperson who creates marvelous works with a minimum of tools is far ahead of one augmented with a fully appointed shop.

--- End quote ---
I agree. From my experience it helps in limiting the amount of time you spend chosing a tool. It does however require more creativity in fixturing and such :-) But that is where I think a lot of the pleasures come from. E.g. I often have to make a tool to make a tool to make a part. The tools then become part of the accomplishment.

Gerrit

sparky961:
Indeed.  The endless chain of tool making is to be avoided in the professional setting, but as a hobby it's the journey that matters much more than the destination.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version