Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Dust control for TCG and surface grinder

(1/5) > >>

PekkaNF:
I finally have Cincinnati No. 2 Tool & Cutter Grinder somewhat operational and done some first grinding.

Next step is dust removal. I tried normal wet and dry vacuum cleaner and manually holding the nozzle, seemed to work somewhat but if will not be real and final solution for several reasons. I have 2,2 kW fan for high flow/low pressure system it has 160 mm dia inlet, and nearly 400 mm impeller. Blows socks off and makes a lot of noise.

1: How much flow/vacuum I need? Is more like vacuum cleaner than wood working dust extractor?

2: Nozzles? I realize that on TCG use no standard nozzle will work, but on surface grinding and wheel dressing much dust is being produced that is pretty stationary service.

2a) Splash guard suction box?
2b) Wheel guard with suction port? original wheel guards do not have suction port and they are pretty basic. I need to make separate wheel guard for surface grinding anyway, suggestions for design?
2c) Separate nozzle for TCG? Just straight/slightly oval pipe with oblong cut?

3: What sort of suction hose I should be looking at?

Thank you,
Pekka

gerritv:
Attached is a pdf extract from my uncles notebook on dust exhaust etc. He worked at Kiekens in NL in the 50's-70's.

The Deckel S1 manual has other examples of dust collection: http://cncmanual.com/deckel-s1-universal-tool-and-cutter-grinder-operating-manual/

My 1900's Cincinnati Universal grinder came with no wheel guards. I made one using a 3" pipe with segment cut out, hammered into appropriate radius. Once it gets a front plate I will be adding a dust port attached to a cyclone and used central vacuum.

PekkaNF:
Thank you.

Nice wheel guard you have, looks like build to last.

That chute looks like is stationary to wheel head, i.e. table moves under it, that would place it closer to debris shower, but might interfere with magnetic table and other small stuff I have on the table. Data looks interesting, if I got it right...125 mm duct and 6,5 m3/min ref. that to wood working chip/dust fan and we are close to 2kW beast. No doubt that would do it!

One friend has small TCG and it has 1,5kW fan with about one metre of 60 mm hose, needs a nozzle close to point but works well.

Got more than enough day job for few weeks, have to build this little by little.

Pekka

gerritv:
125mm is the wheel diameter (schijf diam). Vin is the expected speed of the airflow. The angle of the chute opening and its length determines the efficiency of airflow. A fairly short chute is more efficient.

With the flex hose (slang) hanging from above you could mount the chute on the table.

Gerrit

David Morrow:
I have a small CNC mill and a CNC router and I use Locline on both of them. The router creates the most swarf so I would suspect that would be closer to the debris you need to collect. I first tried the 3/4" Locline - in fact I had 2 of them collecting chips about 180 degrees apart. It was just ok. Then I switched to the 2 1/2" Locline and that was a huge improvement. I just connect it to a good sized shop vacuum from Home Depot with some good flexible hose. Don't go too small on the vac - I find that larger is definitely better. You want to keep the hose as short as possible and keep the bends to a minimum as each bend will slow down the flow and therefore its effectiveness. I suspect that the swarf from surface grinding is pretty fine. When I route MDF, the result is pretty dust-like and it can clog the filter pretty quickly. You might want to also look into one of the cyclone dust separators. They aren't too expensive and should minimize the filter clogging problems.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=locline&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmlYD9lZTWAhUK6mMKHaGVD4sQ_AUICigB&biw=1154&bih=641

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version