Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Spindle problem with cincinnati tool and cutter grinder 2 spindle

(1/11) > >>

PekkaNF:
I am rather annoyed.

I bought this machine some years ago and it looked like a real find, even spindle measured and soud right. I never really used it, but this week I have used first time continuosly, maybe 3 hours total. Never any hint of problem. I was considering of dismantling it and relubricating the bearings, but I did not want to take the risk of ruining the spindle. It has grease lubricated bearings and no relubrication provision.

Almost like this:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/cincinnati-tool-and-cutter-grinder-number-2/img5.jpg

http://www.lathes.co.uk/cincinnati-tool-and-cutter-grinder-number-2/img15.jpg

I was dressing the grinding wheel today and noticed faint but clearly rough sound. No detectable axial clearance, but about 0,03-0,04 mm of radial clearance at the other end with pretty good manual force. it feels funny, not really like play, more like springly/gummy feeling :scratch:

So, I probably need to dismantle it, check it all over, order new imperial parts and slap my forehead with empty wallet and still no quarantee that it will ever work again. :bang:

I have rebuild car wheel bearings and some electric motor, alternator and that sort of stuff, but my success rate has not been 100%.

I am one beer upset.

Pekka

Pete.:
Just strip it down and fit a new bearing. If imperial stuff is too expensive shim the shaft or housing and fit metric. There's no real magic involved.

gerritv:

--- Quote from: Pete. on September 09, 2017, 01:29:33 PM ---Just strip it down and fit a new bearing. If imperial stuff is too expensive shim the shaft or housing and fit metric. There's no real magic involved.

--- End quote ---
I disagree. This is not a car axle. Runs at 4000-6200 rpm, any irregularity will show on the ground surface. The retrofit spindle cartridge on my early 1900's Cincinnati Universal grinder has matched bearings (look for a faint dot). >USD600 a pair and easy enough to screw up on installation. I am therefor living with mine the way it is.
The No 2 head drawing shows 2 sets of precision bearings at each end of the shaft. You can count on these to be matched sets, increasing the $$'s and also increasing the risk of installing incorrectly.

I recall in the 1970's replacing bearings on a Univac FH432 drums running at 7142 rpm. If you succeeded all was well with the world. If you failed a day later there would be rubber dust all over the cabinet as the teeth were removed from the drive belt. The shaft at that point usually had twist marks where the bearing stopped turning. Not a happy call to make to the branch manager.

Pete.:
The best bearings from the 1900's couldn't match decent standard ones today. This is a T&C grinder not a surface grinder, and a homeshop one at that. I flushed and greased the ones in my T&C grinder and it's just fine.

PekkaNF:
Thank you all.

I'll have another beer, cool down, read everything I find on this cadridge spindle and dismantle it tomorow when I'm cool like the ice-man.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version