Author Topic: Myford ML10 Speed 10 Full Manual Needed for a nonexistent lathe  (Read 6741 times)

Offline 69CamaroZNut

Myford ML10 Speed 10 Full Manual Needed for a nonexistent lathe
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:27:24 AM »
I recently acquired a Jet 619PY lathe that has been in a warehouse for 18 years.
The owner (a friend) has incurable cancer and didn't want the lathe to be trashed.
Many say Jet never made a 6x19" Lathe, so here is the nonexistent photos.
This little lathe is very similar to both the Myford ML10 & Speed 10 Lathe.  It has some features of each.
Just not sure if the parts are interchanable because this lathe is not just longer then the ML/Speed 10 Myfords but appears wider too.

A few old Magazines online shows these Jet's were Mfr'd from 1986 to 88.  It was Boeing's very first attempt at selling tools and hobby lathes in America called JET.
Well Jet lahes sunk like anchors on sales, selling only a few thousand I discovered.

The lathe was covered in a haze of rust which comes off quite easily with a 45 minute soak in Apple Cider Vinegar and a light scrubbing with a S/S I/2" Wirebrush.
It was made in Taiwan and appears to be more well machined then the current Chinese line today.  No doubt Warco was probably popping these out.

If someone has a Myford ML10 / Speed 10 lathe manual in PDF, I sure could use it.

I will post Pic's as I clean it up.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:56:44 AM by 69CamaroZNut »

Offline Pete W.

Re: Myford ML10 Speed 10 Full Manual Needed for a nonexistent lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 05:06:56 AM »
I've just had a quick look at the Myford web-site.  They list a User's Guide for the ML10 for £17.00.  Unfortunately, they don't offer the spare parts lists and 'exploded diagrams' for the ML10.

You might get lucky if you search the Myford Lathes Yahoo Group.  (I haven't been there for some time - Yahoo Groups give my computer cyber migraine!!) 

Incidentally, the most recent manifestation I've seen of 'Jet' as a brand name is for wood-working machinery at Axminster Power Tools. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline 69CamaroZNut

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
Pete W.

Thanks, I've see the Manuals for sale even from Myford's page and on eBay too. 
Here in America you can go to any store online and download an owners manual for FREE.
Myford has probably made more money selling parts and manuals then lathes.

I contacted JET and was told their exist no copies of the manual for the 6x19 Jet lathe in their records.
Manuals sell parts and thus should be free, besides why buy a manual that may not cover your lathe at all.  :doh:
I can make missing parts.  I'm more interested in the Myford manual to compare the similarities of the two lathes then anything else.
I have the Myford Small manual.PDF.  What a worthless digital copy as it contains no parts listings or Diagrams/Layout or figures of measurement.

Here are some updates of the Apple Cider parts cleaning  :drool:
The leadscrew was placed in a PVC pipe and soaked for 45min twice.

John

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
Hi there, John,

Your de-rusting exercise looks to have given excellent results.  Did you have any problem with flash rusting after you dry off the parts?  I've had reasonably good results with citric acid.  I like to finish with a methylated spirits rinse to remove the final rinsing water.  (Do I need to explain what 'methylated sprits' is?)

After hearing a lot of USA folks mention Evaporust I was pleased to discover that Amazon UK were listing it.  I bought some but haven't tried it yet.

I repeat my suggestion that you visit the Myford Lathes group on Yahoo Groups.  They have lots of literature in their 'files' section.  Otherwise, there are several ML10 owners on this site and one of them may be able and willing to help.  Wait and see who comes along further down the thread. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline 69CamaroZNut

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »
Pete W.

I don't have any problems with flash rusting at all. 
I scrub the parts off with a stainless steel wire brush and keep them submerged in a bucket of water which contains Dawn dishwashing detergent. 
I wear nitrile rubber gloves to keep the rust and Cider from tinting my skin orange.
As soon as the parts come out of the Dawn water, I rinse them off with freshwater and dry them off with an old clean towel.
Instead Isopropyl Alcohol I use acetone and wear nitrile rubber gloves to clean off the metal prior to painting.
The shiny metal parts you see in the photo were left out for seven days in the garage with zero rust on them.
If I were you, I'd send back Evaporust and just use apple cider vinegar it works far better.
If you do use the of Evaporust make sure you're in a ventilated space.
If you decide to use apple cider vinegar make sure you can seal it off because it will attract bees, flies and any other creature that will eat rotten matter.
Evaporust is a one time use product. Apple cider vinegar can be filtered using coffee filter liners in a funnel and you can recycle it is many times as you like.
Oh yeah and the price is cheaper too.
I have tried numerous times to register and logon to Myford groups on Yahoo,,, it's like total insanity, it refuses to grant access.

John
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 07:25:11 PM by 69CamaroZNut »

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
I'm not particularly interested in  the 3B's ( Bullshit Baffles Brains)but I'm sitting with a toy ML10 next to my computer.
Frankly. the so called manual isn't much use to a restorer as it is appallingly limited in information and  the similarly limited Spare parts list  which came out of the original firm prior to liquidation.

My supposition suggests that you are tackling a 'clone' made abroad somewhere 'foreign'. Whether your pooly friend's machine is an identical copy seems a matter of conjecture and the only solution is to forget  that it ever was  a Myford and restore it to being a lathe with a lot of potential left.   

Thus you CAN buy new gears and probably the feed screws and a few bits and pieces but the rest  of actual ML10 spares and replacements will have to come out the second-hand market where lathe reconditioning is no longer a viable proposition.

There are many imponderables which only you can answer. Many of the Myford dimensions appear in such books as Jack Radford's and George Thomas's. Originally they appeared in Model Engineer and are now in book form- at a cost.

OK, I have a ML10 with MOST of the accessories and bought on an old man's whim to compliment and complement my existing Super7B

After all, ALL the Myfords are old and the ML10 is a sort of transitional machine built at low cost  coming between the old pre-war and wartime ML's1, 2 3 and 4 and the more expensive ML7.

My views but others may have different ones.

Norman Atkinson

Offline russ57

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 07:34:51 AM »

Evaporust is a one time use product. Apple cider vinegar can be filtered using coffee filter liners in a funnel and you can recycle it is many times as you like.

John

Not  in my experience. No smell, keep on reusing until it is completely black and doesn't work any more. I'm sure vinegar would eventually be exhausted as well.
Agree vinegar is cheaper!

-russ

Offline 69CamaroZNut

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Some progress on clean up, painting and partial assembly

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
From the added photos, it would appear to be a version of the Myford Speed 10 rather than mine which has plain bearings of cast iron.

My additional information( such as it is) is in French but my '10' has been extensively modified by the previous owner(s) and the feed dials bear no relation to the ones fitted in both sets of information.

Looking at the lathe, it obviously never was capable of Screwcutting left hand threads but I have to re-fabricate the left hand tumbler arrangement.

Of course, I don't know what your intentions are with your 'variant'

Norm

Offline 69CamaroZNut

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »
Fergus OMore,

Post a picture of yours.

I just received a manual for a JET-619PY  & 613Y models from a person in Taiwan yesterday.
Its not a complete manual, page 5 is missing and he said the section on repair Page 40-60 are missing too.  Its better then what I started with.
I tried to attach it but I guess that is not allowed.

I've thought of a reverse tumbler and even looked at Graham Meek Dog Clutch design.

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Meek_screwcutting_clutch.html

John