The Shop > Tools

Metal shaper ecological niece and value?

(1/4) > >>

PekkaNF:
I have been offered a table top size metal shaper. It is very clean and pretty, looks old but pretty much unused.

I only have seen pictures so far. Not sure about the brand/model, it has a text "Acorn" I think. Looks bit like Atlas Shaper.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlasshaper/

I am ofcource wondering what it is worth paying and is worth owning.

I don't have much extra space, but I could chuck some crap and crappy tools out of my garage. I am pitting it against small milling machine, probably chinese mill/drill. I allready have large slow mill.

So what is the small (800*400*400 mm) metal shaper good for. Specially if pitted agains mill/drill? Is shaper + good pilar drill better idea than small mill/drill?

I do a whole lot more tools and measurement tools and that sort of stuff rather than traditional model engineering.

Someone said that shaper is only good for keeping up the floor space - that I don't have extra.

Pekka

mexican jon:
I wouldn't be without mine  :scratch: It never gets used  :scratch: well apart from when people ask what it is and i show them it working  :loco: It's very therapeutic to watch  :thumbup: but in reality with modern millers the shapers days have past  :( saying that though I do know of a couple of people that swear by them and reckon they are by the far the best tool for some jobs   :thumbup:

mcostello:
Got one and once or twice a year it earns it's keep. Sits in an otherwise unoccupied corner so no problem.

mattinker:
I have an Elliot 10m shaper that doesn't get used very often but is a life save for internal keyways. It was my first machine tool; It is quiet, doesn't take up much space, uses simple single point tooling ang can produce a very good smooth finish. I realy like my shaper!!

Regards, Matthew

eskoilola:
Extract from the attached document:
"Finishing a male dovetail on the replacement top slide for the Chinese lathe you wish you'd never bought …."

Hmmm... biased ?

I think there are certain tasks that only can be done with the shaper. Those are rare though.

The videos I have seen these been used are quite hypnotic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version