Author Topic: Rotary Table / Chuck Adaptor.  (Read 11312 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Rotary Table / Chuck Adaptor.
« on: May 22, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
I want to fit my 80mm chuck onto my 100mm r/table.

The plan is to locate the chuck onto a 100mm x 3/8" adaptor disc, as on the lathe backplate, held by 3off c/sk 6mm screws.
The disc will be held onto r/table by 4off 6mm capheads & t nuts.

Friction drive, topping a piece of 4" square..... Knocking me little lathe about, making it all slack & sloppy........  ::)

All tightened up again, starting facing operations......  :thumbup:
This is as far as I`ve got today.

The problem, is that the disc is too large dia for my chuck to grip......

Do I drill & ream (no boring bar) & mount on a mandrel, before proceeding further?

Do I rough out the chuck locating spigot now, as set?

The r/table has 9/16" location recess between segments.
Or I could drill into the centre for a shallow, smaller dia location hole, for setting up purposes.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated......  :wave:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Rotary Table / Chuck Adaptor.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »
Hi Dave

Have you got a face plate ?. If yes drill the holes in RT adaptor plate where they will go to clamp the RT chuck.
Use these to clamp to the face plate, face it up and turn the chuck spigot, turn it round on the face plate clean the back face up, Job done.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:52 PM »
John mounts his in the MT2 taper in the RT, wouls that be poss with yours?

Double sided tape might help when holding against the lathe jaws, still need the tailstock support though  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »
Stew,

No faceplate.........  :scratch:

Darren,

No morse taper hole in r/table.  :scratch:

Using insulation tape on jaws for friction drive,  that part of the process is working ok......  :thumbup:

The problem is, the o/d is too large, how to hold it for the next ops.......  :bang:

David D
David.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 01:28:20 PM »
David, not insulation tape, double sided  :thumbup:

Umm, can you do the holes on the mill?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
David,

You have done the job a bit A over T. But easily able to salvage.

BTW, you are doing the friction turning all wrong with regards to chuck jaws. I will explain later, no time to do it now.

Get the plate somehow mounted or clamped down onto your mill, if you use the original centre drilling you have in there, to hold the plate down while clamping you won't be far out. Use a fixed or rotating centre in the quill of your mill. Mount it over one of the table t-slots. Then drill and ream your centre hole.

Getting a fair sized lump of barstock into your lathe chuck, above 2" in size, to give your backplate a bit of support while machining. Turn a spigot on the end of it for a nice tight fit in the hole, but not quite as long as the plate is thick. Try to get the spigot as close to the chuck jaws as you can. Without removing the bar from the chuck, drill and tap it for the largest sized bolt that will go in the end of the spigot, without weakening the spigot too much, say if you have a 10mm spigot, use an 8mm bolt. Mount up the plate onto the spigot using some hi strength loctite on the flange part of the spigot you have just cut, then using a bolt and a good strong large washer, clamp it all up.

You should then be able to do all your facing cuts if you keep your speed down and cuts light.

Don't worry about being able to face all the way across, just get it as close to the holding washer as possible. The recess in the back of the chuck will be deeper than the spigot that you will be cutting for mounting the chuck on, so the unmachined bit will be hidden under the chuck.

If you haven't got the loctite everywhere, you should be able to remove the centre bolt and check your chuck for fit. You might have to do that a few dozen times when you are getting to spigot size.

Once you have your chuck and spigot matching nicely, take the lot out of the chuck, apply a little heat to the chucking spigot you made, leave for a couple of minutes, then you should find they will come apart.

Your main problem will be turning up your RT lining up bit. If you just turn up a bar to fit, then hold it in the chuck to turn the spigot that goes into your backplate, you can guarantee it won't be concentric, and your chuck will be off centre to the RT.

So, turn up a short blank that is a nice snug fit in your RT centre, that is going to be your master.

Get a piece of stock that is slightly larger than the required size, mount into your chuck and turn down to the exact size you have on your master blank. Once you have done that, turn the end down to the size you have in your chuck backplate, then just part it off. You will now have a perfectly concentric aligning slug, and if you mount it gently into your chuck jaws, you can turn the ends down to the correct length.

Clamp the backplate upside down onto the RT using your new alignment slug, and drill all your mounting holes for the t-bolts. For the chuck bolts, which will need to be recessed, only drill part way thru the backplate (otherwise you end up with nice holes in your RT face), then cut the recesses with a slot drill. Finish off the thru holes by hand after you have taken it off the RT. Make a bit of a wiggle factor on your mounting holes, say 0.5mm oversized, to make sure you have no binding bolts due to drilling errors. Your spigots and slugs will align everything up, the bolts are only there to hold all the bits together.

If you can't understand all this, give me a shout, and I will do a C-o-C, but I might not get to it until tomorrow, as I have just come out of a sleep, and am now going back for another one.

John

Offline websterz

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:24:43 PM »
I just went thru the same process today, albeit a little differently. The blank I used for the adapter plate already had a 1.5" hole thru the middle. I chucked up in this hole, turned the OD, faced the plate, and cut the spud for the chuck. Then I pulled the plate out of the lathe, used screw transfers in the mounting holes of the chuck to transfer the hole locations to the plate. I drilled and counterbored the holes, mounted the small chuck (minus the jaws) onthe plate, then chucked up the small chuck in the lathe, held by my 4" chuck and outside jaws. A little nudging got it within a couple of tenths then I faced the back side of the plate. While I had it in the chuck I ran the tool up to the plate face and used it to scribe a 3.5" circle which I used to locate my 4 hole bolt pattern for mounting on my rotab. The whole process took a couple of hours, not counting another hour to make 4 little T nuts. All in all a very pleasant afternoon in my playroom.  :nrocks: :ddb:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 03:53:25 AM »

"David, not insulation tape, double sided "  :thumbup:

Darren.
I had problems with double sided, on a little alloy disc, some time back.
Much too floaty......

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=566.0

I found, while knocking the corners off this lump, that the thinner Chesterfield Market insulation tape drives much better than the industrial tape I had been using!  :scratch:

John, Todd,

Thanks for that, lots of info there......  :clap:

First op now is to drill/ ream the centre locating hole, on the mill.  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:49:39 AM »
Ah, I'd not seen that one before,

Umm, noted for further ref  :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 02:23:03 AM »

Moving along......

The main problem with the correct way to machine this plate is, I don`t have any material over 1" dia!  ::)

So, there`s no mandrel then.......  :scratch:

Sooo, I decided to carry on machining the chuck location diameter.

Just for Darren. The result of using double sided tape.......  :scratch:

No problems at all, with industrial insulating tape.

This set up allowed me to slip the component in/ out of the machine to check chuck fit.....

I finished up with the best fit I have ever produced. A perfect, tight push fit.

Very pleased.....  :thumbup:

Tried mounting the chuck onto a machined piece of bar....... It visibly wobbled!  :doh:

The jaws need skimming, with the body running true.  ::)

So, I gripped the chuck body in the larger lathe chuck..... Within a thou`, o/d, recess, & face, before any truing!

Near enough for me. So, I carefully fitted the plate, checked nothing had moved & faced the other side.

That little centre allowed a long facing pass, without getting in the way.....

Carefully drilled out the centre locating hole, after checking all was still running true.

Found myself a new 19/32" reamer..... 1/32" above table location recess size..... Result!  :clap:

Will turn the locating plug next & mount on the r/t for drilling.

The turning procedure was little base over apex...... But it`s working out ok, so far......  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »
Well done that man  :clap: it seems to be working out fine, pleased you found a use already for the little centre.

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 04:09:55 AM »
I have finally finished this project & completed it`s first piece of work......  :wave:

Centre locating plug, tapped through 10mm for removal with chuck in situ, if necessary.

Countersunk chuck screws.
Why does Chester`s catalogue quote 63mm pcd........ When it is 66mm?  :scratch: They didn`t catch me out..... This time!  :D

Countersunk adaptor screws.....

To clear my faceplate.

Then I realised I will be tightening through the slots......  ::)

I fitted the assembly, then clocked a component in chuck jaws.
Within .0015, before tapping true & final tightening!

First job..... Drilling 1mm air holes in SEL steam engine wick holders.  :thumbup:

Just a bit pleased.....  :D

David D

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:13:05 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 04:18:55 AM »
Just a bit pleased..... 

So you should be David.

Very nice job, plus you have added another string to your bow, and a little more workshop tooling. :thumbup: :clap:

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 04:23:08 AM »
Nicely done and shown David  :thumbup:

It certainly is an advantage being able to fit you're chuck to the RT.

Have fun  :D

Stew
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:36:20 AM by sbwhart »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 04:31:08 AM »
They look very nicely done David,

Now I know how I'm going to tackle one of my little engine tasks  :thumbup:

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
David nice job, I did something similar to fit a 3" chuck on my 6 inch rotary table.  At present I am working on an adapter to fit my 3 jaw and 4 jaw 8" D1-4 to my rotary table.  I plan to use the D1-4 mount, by pretty much copying what is in the lathe spindle....wish me luck...

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 01:52:11 AM »

David nice job, I did something similar to fit a 3" chuck on my 6 inch rotary table.  At present I am working on an adapter to fit my 3 jaw and 4 jaw 8" D1-4 to my rotary table.  I plan to use the D1-4 mount, by pretty much copying what is in the lathe spindle....wish me luck...

Thanks for that Bob!

Good luck to you mate.......  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 01:54:08 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.