Author Topic: Planetary gear  (Read 9911 times)

Offline J. Tranter

Planetary gear
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:00:20 PM »
 Ok so I have a set of planetary gears I got out of an old drill. Now I'm looking for a projest for them.

So the question is, what would you make with them?

John T.

bogstandard

Re: Planetary gear
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:28:45 PM »
John, bad question and leaving yourself wide open.

Are you wanting to go into interplantary travel, as in Star Trek, or more earthly things ? :lol:

But joking aside, knowing what you are 'in to' would definitely help. Are you looking at say tooling or incorporating it into a model of some sort. I am sure the lads could come up with all sorts of answers with a slight nudge in the required direction. Or do you just want to use them for the sake of it, and any suggestion will do?

I think making a reduction gearbox for an electric drill is a bit too obvious. Maybe a speed increase unit of some sort. Gearboxes lend themselves quite well to working opposite from what their original concept was, but it could only be used for very light applications, purely because of how the gearbox works, say a super hi speed drilling machine.

John
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:40:20 PM by bogstandard »

Offline J. Tranter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 12:00:43 AM »
John, bad question and leaving yourself wide open.

Are you wanting to go into interplantary travel, as in Star Trek, or more earthly things ? :lol:

More earthly. I'm just trying to find ideas of what to use them on. I also have an 80 and 71 tooth gears that came in the drill.

So tooling or models it doesn't matter.

John T.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:16:08 AM by Darren »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:12:06 AM »
Hi John

John Bogs showed me a nice little poppet valve engine he'd made using gears, that would be a nice little project.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline S_J_H

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
I built a nice reduction gearbox from a Makita drill. It is a 3speed planetary gearset. I machined a housing from 6061 aluminum and 660 bronze.

This gearbox is mounted on the horizontal boring mill/lathe I built last year.
The ratios are 65:1, 40:1 and 12.5:1.
It has a detent clutch which is adjustable. It runs very quietly and can handle about 1hp.

This is all of the gears I used from the Makita drill-

The assembled 3 speed planetary unit-

This is the housing viewed from the input side-

the output side, shown packed-

The finished gearbox mounted on the boring mill-

Steve

tumutbound

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 02:12:57 AM »
I have an old Hitachi electric drill for which the batteries have died.
I'm planning to use it and the planetary gearbox for a power feed on my mill.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 02:51:57 AM »
Thats a real neat gear box you've built there Steve  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you used toothed drive belts ?,

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:03 AM »
Steve,

Nice work. Could we get you to post some pictures of the mill/lathe.  :poke: It would be greatly appreciated.  :bow:

This may be something I might want to incorporate into my 9 X 20 Grizzly rebuild.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline S_J_H

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:15:10 PM »
Thanks guys. The gearbox is probably one of the most successful projects I have done. I needed a slow but powerful reduction to the spindle for certain jobs.
The machine uses the gearbox for the first 3 speed reductions. It has a high speed bypass setup as well.
If you look at the pic of it installed on the mill you can see the unused dual groove pulley under the gearbox.The dual belts are removed from the gearbox and installed on that pulley. Then the large HTD belt removed from the output side of the gearbox. The spindle is then driven at a 1.7:1 ratio via the mid shaft in the head stock.
The 4 speed ranges along with the variable speed DC drive gives the following rpm ranges at the spindle-
1st gear- 0-75rpm
2nd gear-50-125rpm
3rd gear- 100-400rpm
4th gear- 400-2900 rpm.

belt setup for high speed ratio-

Rear of headstock , HTD belt removed and spindle then driven at a 1.7:1 ratio achieved by bypassing the gearbox. Sorry about the fuzzy pic,

Could we get you to post some pictures of the mill/lathe.   It would be greatly appreciated.
Bernd,
yeah sure, I'll start a new thread on it.

Steve