Author Topic: Changes afoot  (Read 27114 times)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Changes afoot
« on: August 01, 2009, 04:27:36 PM »
After burrowing and sorting through the debris and clutter that has amassed in my little workshop during the last few months of inactivity  :scratch: ............... it appears I now need to make a few changes  :bugeye:

Can you tell what it is yet  :med:

CC

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Changes afoot
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
Make it untidy with a couple of projects:-

You need a good dose of  :proj:

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 04:39:06 PM »
Blimey Stew, it was untidy to the tune of .............. "I opened the door and things fell out"   :bugeye: ............... you have no idea of the trauma involved in "skipping" all those "things I might need sometime"  :( ................. just so I could get in  :dremel:

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
I won't tell, as long as you get on with it and don't drag it out. :lol:

Bogs

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »
Does this help  ::)

CC

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »
Bloody hell, you've bought a meat safe to keep the black pudding.

John S.
John Stevenson

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 06:19:34 PM »
Methinks a very tight squeeze is on the cards, and not from the better half.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 07:07:18 PM »
Was going to say you will have to buy some equipment to fill the void, but it looks like you already have solved that problem!  :headbang:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 09:21:41 AM »
Methinks a very tight squeeze is on the cards, and not from the better half.

Your right John  :bugeye: ............. after having a measure up I've now widened the available space so everything should squeeze in

The base is in place as you can see above, I've managed to get the individual lumps into the workshop ......

but that's as far as I can go till I rope in some (large) assistants .....  think I need a lie down now

anyway, once the jigsaw is complete it should look like this .................

CC

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 09:26:23 AM »
Very nice! I think that is the mill I am going to end up getting. Please let me know how you like it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 09:32:08 AM »
Wow thats a nice bit of kit I was looking at that mill but just couldn't make the space for one.

It'll add a lot to your capability and fun.

Enjoy

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 10:10:54 AM »
I love the little X2 but have to confess the extra mass should make a tremendous difference, plus the extra capacity of course .......... similar to the Boxford vs the 9x20 lathe, similar size but the difference is quite noticeable.

I've been thinking about a bigger mill for a while and after chatting with John (BS) a fair bit, came to the conclusion this was my preferred option. This one is 3rd hand and came with a load of extra bits, large tilting vice, R8 boring head (neither of which I've got) loads of collets, and a few other assorted bits.  I don't think it's had a lot of use, everything seems smooth and quite tight and there are hardly any marks on the bed etc.

Anyway once I manage to get it back together I'll give it a try and let you all know if I've made the right choice ............... or not  :scratch:

My eldest son is making noises about wanting a small mill and a lathe .........   :thumbup: ........ which is good, the downside being that replacing my dwindling workshop funds by selling the other machines might not happen ........... they may end up being donated to a worthy cause (Mrs CC's words)  :hammer:

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
Nice looking bit of kit....looks new, not 3rd hand.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 10:56:44 AM »
Always fancied one of those to throw a CNC kit onto.
Mind you the space would be a nice thing to have as well  ::)

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Mr blindbird

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 11:39:04 AM »
Hoaaah,nice piece of machinery :thumbup:...if this is the kickoff for a buy-a-new-machine race,i hope to be second as i still need a nice mill to....like that one :clap:
Now where is that towel to clean off all this drewel from my keyboard :D
If force doesnt solve the problem,you're not using enough...
If aditional force still doesnt do the trick...you should have checkt if it's a right or left thread first...

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »
Mind you the space would be a nice thing to have as well  ::)  

I know John, the guy had a nearly empty garage as well, sadly, try as I might, I couldn't squeeze any of his free space into the Van  :smart:

CC

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 02:05:10 PM »
Well after a bit lot of physical effort ............ mostly on the part of my 2 sons mind  :bugeye:   ............  thanks chaps  :beer:

it's in place

so things progress slowly .................

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 03:04:32 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good to have some help init...

I'd be really interested in your comparisons of differences....that's a good looking machine you have there..... :nrocks:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
The lifting equipment ............... once all in place of course  :thumbup:

CC

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 08:18:50 AM »
I'd be really interested in your comparisons of differences....

I don't suppose it's really fair to compare the lil' X2 which weighs 55kg (120lbs) to a mill weighing 410kg (970 lbs)  ......... they are totally different machines, I've been torturing a bit of aluminium and it certainly makes "making chips" a lot easier and faster ...........  and gives a nice finish, I'll try and find a bit of steel to throw at it later.

It was John (BS) who pointed me towards this particular mill a while ago (Thank you BS), I was considering an X3 at the time but I think this one is going to be fine, anyway I'm off to make a stop for the power feed limit switch as there's only one ........... before Mrs CC finds "more important" things for me to do.

CC

bogstandard

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »
Darren,

The 626 was my first choice after spending months rooting thru the internet for customers comments, specs, etc.

A little extra cash popped up at the last minute, coupled with a very good discount on the small Bridgy clone I have now, otherwise I would have one of these in my shop now.

Like everything, no home machine is ever perfect, except this model, according to a lot of other users, apart for a few minor niggles, came very close to being just that.
Largish capacity, with the knee for versatility, coupled to rigidity and a size that could be accomodated in a fairly small shop (as Dave has shown), offers very good value for money.

John

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
It's a nice piece of kit that's for sure, I'm a happy camper ..................... well I was .................. till the power feed stopped working  :bang:

<edit>  and happy again now .............  the power feed is fixed. <edit>

anyway, one thing at a time ....................

spent a couple of hours making a new stop for the limit switch, mainly aluminium with a little steel Tee Nut, it certainly just takes little things like that in it's stride, with the X2 I'd have been taking lighter cuts and would have been very steady with the mild steel, this one cuts steel like the X2 cuts ally  :thumbup: ............... but then again it is in a totally different league.  I'm not disappointed with the X2 by any means, it just left me wanting a little more power ............... the 626 fills that requirement very well, to press anyway.

Nothing exciting, but it's kept me happy this afternoon  :med:

as for the power feed ....................  I'll start another thread  :scratch:

CC
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:54:05 PM by CrewCab »

bogstandard

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »
Dave,

Get thee a spring on there, just like the original.

The table carries on moving slightly after it hits the stop while the motor runs down. Without the spring loading, you with soon smash the limit switch apart as it comes against your fixed dead stop.
There are reasons for most things being on a machine, that is the reason for the spring.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »
Well spotted John....... :smart:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »
I only have a limited supply of springs,  :scratch:  I tried a 6mm bolt with a spring and it didn't work until the spring compressed entirely ............... OK ......... springy no worky properly  :hammer:

I tried the bolt "as is" about a couple of dozen times at varying speeds and it worked fine each time, so that's why it's "as it is" at the moment, but .......... You are absolutely correct John, and I will be sourcing a bigger spring asap and modifying the stop to match the original.

:bow:  Well spotted  :headbang:

CC