Author Topic: Sieg X1  (Read 23040 times)

Offline 28ten

Sieg X1
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:53:26 PM »
Whilst making enquiries about grinding last week, I was told of an X1 mill that is for sale locally. I have seen the MEW articles, has anybody on here got any experience of using one? are they any good within their limitations? or should I hang onto my cash and get an X2 or X3 when I can afford it?
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Sieg X1
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »
A couple people here have them. With the extended table and such, you actually get more of a work area than the X2. HOWEVER, they are not as rigid as the X2 (itself a wet noodle) and no where near the X3.

That said, I have an X2. With some mods (it is a kit mill), it has become a little work horse. If I had the money though I would have gotten an X3 at a minimum. My suggestion, unless that X1 is cheap and comes with good tooling... save the cash for a X2 or X3.

One other thing, what do you plan to make with your mill? Train parts right? What is the primary metal you will be cutting? From aluminum the X1 and X2 do fairly well, with steel it is very shallow cuts...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
I have an X1.  Works fine if you do, indeed, recognize it's limitations.  First off, it's small.  So, it isn't gonna do for large parts.  It's not that powerful, so small cuts and slower feedrates are required.  Would I like a larger one?  Sure.  but getting a large one down into the basement would be problematic, and the price on this one was very good.  I got mine for less than $300 with a screwless vice, rotary table, clamp set and a couple of mill holders.  For that price it's a bargain.

One major advantage (at least to me), is that the spindle is MT2, which is the same as the tailstock on the mini lathe.  One set of mill holders for both machines, one set of drill chucks, etc.

One major drawback is that the head lock raises the spindle by a couple of thou, and drops it by that much when you let it off.  Letting off the lock in the middle of a pass could cause the mill to dig into the workpiece.  If you realize this, it's easy to avoid.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »
One major drawback is that the head lock raises the spindle by a couple of thou, and drops it by that much when you let it off.  Letting off the lock in the middle of a pass could cause the mill to dig into the workpiece.  If you realize this, it's easy to avoid.

Just to add that my X2 suffers from the very same spindle-lock head rising. It seems that these machines ( the X1 and X2 ) are made with the same potential defects features.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline 28ten

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:53:19 PM »
Would I like a larger one?  Sure.  but getting a large one down into the basement would be problematic,

Same for me  :bang: I would have to strip an X3 to get it in. and if I am honest price does come into the equation, I can get this for £200 + say £200 for tooling, the X3 would inc tooling would be over £1k. I don't want to miss a good deal, but as someone once said about 'buy cheap and buy twice'

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 05:19:13 PM »
Well... I wouldn't call it buying cheap. They say get the biggest you can afford\fit... If this is a good start for you, then go for it. That was my X2 purchase, a good start. You can always sell or convert the X1 at a later date.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »
Eric's got a good point, I'm on my third mill, each one has just about paid for the next one.

Buy second hand, be careful not to pay too much and you can't loose. If later you want to upgrade, sell and buy a new one and the sale will recover it's original cost....mostly.

This applies to any machine, they are always in demand so selling is never a problem...... :med:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:56 PM »
Mmmmmmmm .................... am I one to give advice here  :scratch:   

OK 18 months back I took the plunge and bought an X2, I was undecided and inexperienced and, if I'm honest, swayed by price ............. but to be fair the little X2 has been a cracking machine, I have to confess to spoiling it with almost every X2 accessory known to man, including a 3 axis DRO and if you are mainly going to machine small parts using non ferrous metals I think it is unbeatable for the price, ...............  though it's much bigger and stiffer than an X1, so for me I think an X1 would have lasted about a fortnight week.

I've now (as of last Saturday) bought a second hand 626 Mill which is far bigger than an X2, perhaps I can give you a more quantitative answer in a week or two when I've used the new one a bit more.

You can machine small parts on a large lathe/mill but you can't machine large parts on a small ............... (fill in the blanks)

CC

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:08:59 AM »
...honest price does come into the equation, I can get this for £200 + say £200 for tooling ....

28ten - I got my X2 off Matt on this forum for £275 so at £200 for the X1 I would perhaps look around - I`m more than happy with my X2 but already would like to upgrade. I know for sure that if I had bought an X1 I would by now be upgrading!

I`ve not been doing this very long and folk on here know a lot more than me but I`d certainly consider saving for the X2.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:10:50 AM by craynerd »

Offline 28ten

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 02:04:59 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts chaps. I went to have a look today, it is actually brand new. I machined a bit of brass that I had taken with me, but i could see it struggling if I pushed it, although in fairness it's up to most of what I would need at the moment.
 I have a couple of days to think about it but my inclination at the moment is to hold fire and get something a little bigger when I can afford it. in the meantime I will try and do the cross slide mod on the mini lathe to get a little extra travel.

bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 04:32:20 PM »
If you know exactly what you need machining, and you have enough time when you bring your main casting, it would be no problem to drop it onto the mill to machine it for you.

Bogs

Offline 28ten

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »
Bogs
this is what I want to do http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/xslidemod.html to remove the material on the cross slide. I will then have enough travel to make the tapered gibs. it's not desperate I can live without tapered gibs for the time being  :D

even better news, I explained the story of the x1 and  Mrs 28ten says I can have an X3 later this year :jaw:  :beer: I even told her that I would have to strip it down in the kitchen to get it downstairs!

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »
Print it out and bring the bits with you, if we have enough time, I'll hack away at it.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 01:33:02 AM »

even better news, I explained the story of the x1 and  Mrs 28ten says I can have an X3 later this year :jaw:  :beer: I even told her that I would have to strip it down in the kitchen to get it downstairs!

Hi 28ten

I got a sieg X3 early this year very pleased with it strip down and assy to move is no problem.

this is my thread http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=691.0

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline 28ten

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 03:01:55 PM »

Hi 28ten

I got a sieg X3 early this year very pleased with it strip down and assy to move is no problem.

Have fun

Stew
Once it is stripped will i be able to move it on my own?

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »
Yesssss, I moved mine on me own......once it was delivered...... :lol:

Just depends what you have available to move it...... :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 03:07:36 PM »
X3 is about 135kg total weight so I would say quite It's do-able in pieces, my 626 was 410kg and was definitely not a one person operation .............. unless your Rambo of course  :borg:

CC

Offline 28ten

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
That sounds promising then.
how noisy would say it is?

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 03:28:23 PM »
Blimey....let me think.....

About this noisy........umm.. :scratch:...that didn't work did it..... :lol:

What's your concern, neighbors or other family members?

Neighbors can't say much until after 11.30pm

Family members can go to their mums/granny till 11.30pm......

:lol:

Offline 28ten

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »
Ok, ok,  how long is a piece of string?  :) :)
my workshop is in the cellar so the concern is family members.
As a guide, I wouldn't call my Lathe noisy but my router is. I know it depends on cut and material etc, so maybe just the no load noise level in comparison to the mini lathe?

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
Not sure about the X3, but I get more chatter, squealing and motor noise from the lathe than the mill.

I run mine in my basement, and the wife watches TV on the floor above (opposite corner of the house, though) without any problems.  She also gets on her computer (directly above the lathe) and never has complained about the noise.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »
My workshop used to be in the basement till I moved into the garage....

My other half only ever complained about the noise the mill made....not really complained, just mentioned it....

A LOT.... :poke:

Offline 28ten

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 04:42:03 PM »
Darren, Was that because of the material you were cutting or the underlying noise of the machine?

rleete, I like your post  :D that sounds positive :thumbup:

Obviously I shall have to go and see/hear one running

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »

Hi 28ten

Have fun

Stew
Once it is stripped will i be able to move it on my own?

Yes I moved mine on my own and I'm no Tarson:-  Yaw-hoooooooooo Haaaaaaa. or words to that effect  :D

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 04:50:41 PM »
My XYL sits in the room directly above where I operate my lathe and the little shaper and never mentions the noise. all hammering, bashing and most of the cursing happers in the other workshop at the other end of the house.

As for moving stuff, I am a great believer in having the necessary tackle available for such jobs.  If you can find a way to move it using a chain block you can safely move a couple of tons slowly, surely, safely and with absolute control.
From the den of The Artful Bodger