Author Topic: Shopcart  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Shopcart
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »
This for the guys that have big shops with plenty of room and large machines or there abouts.  :lol:

Now that I have my Bridgeport mill and a couple of heavy items that will need to get interchanged on the table to get jobs done. I needed a way get those heavy items on/off the machine. No I don't fancy keeping more than one item on the machine.

Below is a little project that took me close to 1 1/2 hours to do.

First off was to clean the cart out and get it into the basement. These carts were originally "tea carts" used to move stuff around in the shop I used to work at. This one came from the maintenece crew. They would weld on sheet metal sides and make doors and shelveing to their likes. Standing next to the cart is the platform from a tread mill. This is were the belt slides on in the walking.running area. Very slippery. I thought it a good idea to combine the two and make a cart to put my mill vise, rotary table and indexer on. Since they are heavy I didn't want to carry them and I don't have the room for a hoist.

Since both sides have the laminate applied to it I need a way to keep the board from slipping off the cart. After I cut it to size I added strips of wood to keep it from sliding.

I then wheeled it over to the mill and preceeded to remove the vise. Not wanting to damge the laminate I put a piece of wood under the vise. By simply cranking down the table I'm able to slide on/off the heavy tooling on the table.

And there we are. All the heavy items on the shopcart. Now I can move it around the shop with very little effort.

I know one thing that's going to happen and I'm going to try my darnest for it not to and this is that this table could become a "horizontal storage area" if I'm not careful.  :hammer:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline 28ten

Re: Shopcart
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »
That's a really handy thing to have, it saves a lot of lifting too  :thumbup:
If it ain't broke, i'll fix it until it is.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »
Now add a mini lift/crane to it for those really heavy vices!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »
Now add a mini lift/crane to it for those really heavy vices!

Eric

Now there's an idea.  :thumbup:

I've got a couple of spare carts.  :dremel:
Route of the Black Diamonds