Author Topic: ITS ALIVE  (Read 12093 times)

Offline ozzie46

ITS ALIVE
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

This is my first completed engine and it runs.   woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1

It is Bogs Paddle Ducks Engine. I am making 4 of these and this is my "mistakes engine"

All the parts I goofed up a little on, (some a lot) went into this one. I figured if this one ran the others would too. Most of the goof ups are cosmetic.

It is running on approx 15 psi in the video.

Sorry about no color, and quality of video. I never took a video with digital camera before.

Ron

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: ITS ALIVE
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »
And please do tell us why you have been hiding this from us....I'm sure that constitutes a capital offence..... :whip:

Looks good though and sounds very sweet indeed.....well done, quite an achievement  :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »
i wish my mistakes would run that good  :bugeye: :jaw:

most of my mistakes fly....................yes they can fly...................well they fly as far as i can throw them  :lol: :lol: :lol:

if thats your mistakes .......... can't wait to see the good pieces run.

hey............were's the pictures of your good pieces being made ??????? :worthless:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 01:16:30 PM »

this is my "mistakes engine" 

:bugeye: Blimey, the next one's are gonna be pretty special then :headbang:

Nice work Ron lovely runner.

CC

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
Good Job Ron  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sounds real nice and smooth,  :thumbup: you'll have to let us see some pics of the build  :worthless:

Thanks for showing

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »

Thanks  CC, Chuck,Darren,Stew.   I said it was "completed", not quite true, still have to make control valve and oiler yet.

Darren, guilty as charged, throwing myself on the mercy of the group. :bow: :bow:  My only defense is it takes time away from the shop. But I will try to post pics in the future.

I started on these in March and this one is the only one that is built up yet. Have all the parts machined for the other ones to this point. After I finish the control valve and oiler I will start assembling the other ones.

Bogs really has a great design here, only took me about 3 hrs fiddling around to get it running steady. First try all the loose screws showed up in a hurry :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: Had to put things back together and re time.

Gives you quite a rush when they run don't it?  Feel like I'm ten feet tall and bullet proof. :) :) :) :)    :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks:

Ron
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:09:22 PM by ozzie46 »

Offline DeereGuy

• D1 Adapter Solutions
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 02:31:13 PM »
Good for you!!! 

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
You really kept that one quiet Ron, but at least, seeing as you didn't ask for help, I suppose the 'book' did it's job.

It would be nice to know if you have little or a lot of experience in making engines, because as you know, I designed this for someone with maybe one or two small engines under their belt.

Even after all these years, I get a buzz and a grin when even the simplest little engine I build takes its first movement towards life. It is a thing that keeps you going and gets you hooked even further.

I have yet to see a web built one of these engines complete with the control valve. I am wondering if I should have gone with an easier to build, but less efficient type. It seems everyone gets to your stage, then calls it a day.

I must congratulate you on getting a good runner.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Bogs

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 02:37:22 PM »
Nice runner nice sound as well. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Please do writeup on controll valve as I need to make one.

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:  Excellent job!   

I am sure John Bogs designed it specially for that lovely noise! :thumbup:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 06:30:52 PM »

Thanks John, It leaks air like crazy as it is not sealed up yet, not even packing gland stuffing.

Gerhard, I'll try but Bogs does it better than I ever could. It is in his little book on this engine.

Bogs, Thank you for this design. I have never built an engine before or worked as a machinist. Took a Machining course back in "82-83". Never touched a machine tool again until I got my 7 X  and Drill/Mill. However I was a mechanic for about 10 yrs after I got out of the army. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. 

I started an Elmers beam engine in Jan. but set it aside as the parts were/are so small. Got the flywheel, cyl and piston made. After I get more experience I will tackle it again. Never fear I will make the control valve and oiler too. In fact I cut up the stock for the valve today.

I started these in March and worked on them in all my spare time. well when ever SWMBO didn't have some thing for me to do. :whip: :whip: :whip:

Deere-x475guy   After I do some mods to my lathe and make some tools I'd like to try making the John Deere engine that,(if I remember Correctly ) you made.

Ron

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »
That is very interesting Ron, this being your first engine. But you do have a little machining experience, so it looks like I was correct in the choice of person for building it. Just a little experienced needed.

Actually the engine is a little large for the bore and stroke it has, but will function perfectly OK for what it was designed for, and it looks like people are making it because of the look and the relative ease it can be built, not for putting it into working mode.

Many thanks for the info

Bogs

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:10:30 AM »
Ron  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Looks like a very nice engine. You should be proud of what you have achieved with your first complete running engine. Now we want to see some pictures when you assemble the others.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 07:05:30 AM »

Thanks Don, Will do.

Ron

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Ron

:bow: to you! That feeling of watching your engine run for the first time is amazing isn't it? Good one.

Eric

:bow: to bogs for yet another of his engines running!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »
  Yes it is Eric, It actually startled me when it first turned over. Then the loose screws showed up and I had to go back to square 1.  Thanks

Ron

Offline klank

• Sunny East Devon
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »
What a Luvverly Job - be proud, be very proud.
It sounds so sweet - I bet you were grinning.

Peter

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »

Thanks Peter, Yes I am.

Ron