Author Topic: Getting a Mohawk  (Read 4509 times)

Offline kvom

Getting a Mohawk
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »
As in Mohawk auto lift as opposed to a haircut.

I had intended to install a lift in the shop when designing it, but with the state of the economy I decided to wait for the right deal.  With auto dealers going out of business there is a glut of lifts on the market.  I saw this listed on Craigslist last week  and drove out to see it in a heavy downpour.  I picket it up last Monday, and it has been sitting in pieces in the garage until today waiting for the installer to have time to get to it.  To store it I had to rearrange the shop, and as a result I haven't been able to do any machining.

Here's the crew drilling for the floor anchors on the first post:

I was a bit nervous as I have heating tubes in the floor, but fortunately I successfully located the 6" pads that had been poured in anticipation of a lift last summer.

The Mohawk lifts uses hydraulic fluid to equalize the posts, rather than the cable most other lifts use:

Once it was installed, I had to lift something to try it out.  I pushed the big Johnson bandsaw onto a pair of arms and lifted it so that I could install a caster on the main foot.  Now I can move the saw around the shop.

Offline chuck foster

Re: Getting a Mohawk
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 08:52:54 PM »
some guys have ALL the toys  :D

that will be a very use full tool.

chuck  :beer:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline websterz

Re: Getting a Mohawk
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 10:57:06 PM »
I got a big Johnson I need to lift...where can I get one of those? :lol:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med: