Author Topic: Surface plate/buffer cart  (Read 7865 times)

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
Surface plate/buffer cart
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »
Dunno if this deserves to go in the "Gallery" but I guess it's the most logical place.

I recently took advantage of the free freight deal at Enco and got a 12"x18"x3" grade B granite surface plate  for under $25 delivered to my door. (!!)  Soon thereafter I got one of the $70 digital height gages from Harbor Freight.  Both are excellent values for the money.

Originally I planned to store the "rock" under the bench and pull it out only when needed.  Idgit me didn't realize the thing weighs over 70 lbs. and would surely wreck my back trying to wrestle it up & down.

Plan B: I had recently repaired a 1 hp. 3450 rpm pool pump motor given to me by a workmate and grafted on a shaft extension to mount buffing wheels.  I fabbed the cart pictured below which holds the rock and also made a wooden "cap" to mount the buffer.  The cap was made so that it sits down on the angle iron frame and doesn't fret the top of the rock when the buffer's running.

The 1st pic shows the mounting system for the rock.  Amazing what you learn on the net.  I had previously never heard of the term "airy points" but research showed this is the proper way to mount a precision measuring surface.  It's a simple bit of math: 3 mounting points with the spacing at 5/9 of the width & length.  The mounting points were made from 3 slices off a Yellowtail Merlot synthetic cork.  It took quite a bit of, ahem, "research" to free up a cork for its noble mission.  Super glue bonds to the stuff tenaciously!  I can see it being a great material to make cheap lord-style mounts for little engines.

2nd pic show the results of the other thing I learned on the net during this project: the "chopsaw method" of tube joining.  I was able to fit the upper shelf braces amazingly well using it.  The cart frame is constructed from arc-welded 1/2" schedule 40 plumbing pipe (it's what I had in the scrap pile) and followed the angles set forth by the angles listed for 1" pipe.  1/2" S40 is actually .85" OD, close enough.  A 90 deg joint calls for a 20 deg cut but the legs are "splayed" out 7 deg so 20-7 = 13, 20 + 7 + 27 deg.  I made the cuts on the bandsaw (don't have a chopsaw) and the resulting joint is closer than anything I could have done freehand!  The fit allowed welded up the joint easily.

I found a couple of little wooden crates at work to store part of my scrap pile on the bottom shelf and the surface gage package fits nicely on the 2nd shelf.  I'm going to add a shield on the buffer end of the cart to keep the buffer debris out of the crates and will probably add a piece of pegboard on the other end for more widgit storage.  The only things I had to purchase for the cart were the casters I got for cheap at Harbor Freight.  Man I love cheap projects!

It rolls into an out of the way corner for storage and rolls out for use easily even though it weighs a ton.  Well close to 200 lbs. anyway.
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Surface plate/buffer cart
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:19:06 PM »
Very nice indeed.....$25, you thief..... :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Enco...gotta luv 'em!

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=640-0120&PMPXNO=949402&PARTPG=INLMK3

I waited until I needed a few other widgets that brought the order over $50 and used their free shipping over $50 deal.  Can't beat it with a stick!
Milton in Tennesee

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
Nice design and utilization of some juck box parts. :dremel:  :thumbup:

I need to make a cart or table to put my (future) modified Grizzly on. My just fab up my own.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
Thanks Bernd.  I get so much pleasure in making useful tools & shop equipt. from junk I pick up here & there that I can't seem to get back to doing what got me into machining in the 1st place: making model engines!  Oh well, this is a hobby after all and as long as I'm having fun & not spending much cash, I figure it must be a good thing.

If you get started building your cart, take some extra time jigging it up before welding.  This was my 1st time building a structure that wasn't a rectangle, ie: the 4 legs "splay" out from the top 7 degrees.  Man, I had a heckuva time trying to get everything into alignment before tacking.  After the main elements were solidly welded, I took it down from the bench & set it on the floor to admire my handiwork.  Crapola!  The top was twisted c/clockwise about a 1/2" when viewed from the top.  I straightened it out a bit but regret not spending more time making good, solid jig braces early on.
Milton in Tennesee

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 08:34:54 PM »
I got myself a bit of practice building this:

If your interested in the whole build, check it out here: http://www.kingstonemodeleng.com/MiscShop/Utrailer/utilitytrl.htm

I've used it quite a bit already and it's stayed together, even at 70mph.  :lol:

Bernd

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »
Wow, nifty trailer there Bernd!  Great website as well.  You are quite the project meister!
Milton in Tennesee

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
Wow, nifty trailer there Bernd!  Great website as well.  You are quite the project meister!

Tahnsk DICKEYBIRD.

Just keeps my busy and out of trouble.  :ddb:

Bernd