Author Topic: Making a Sub Spindle  (Read 51693 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Making a Sub Spindle
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 10:43:46 AM »
Made the end caps, but not without some difficulty. Up to now I had done very little thread cutting on my machine, so I was going through a bit of a learning curve how to deal with the back lash etc, so I struggled a bit with the first one, but the second was more straight forward.

This is the set up:- what I had to do was take the saddle past the start point, then wind it back by hand to the start point, to help getting the start point I marked the chuck and set the dial bezel on zero. I had to remember to set the correct motor direction before switching on the power, it all seemed to work ok.  :thumbup:

Finished end caps

Cheers
 :beer:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 11:43:22 AM »
Forgot to explain about the threads.  :doh:

Because the size of the threads are dictated by the size of the bearings what you end up with is an illegitimate thread (bastard thread to use the correct technical term). As the internal thread is made first to get to the OD of the male thread for a 60 deg metric thread form you add 2 * 0.036 " to the ID of the internal thread. 0.036 = 1/24TPI * Cos(30)

Cheers
Stew

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
Forgot to explain about the threads.  :doh:

Because the size of the threads are dictated by the size of the bearings what you end up with is an illegitimate thread (bastard thread to use the correct technical term). As the internal thread is made first to get to the OD of the male thread for a 60 deg metric thread form you add 2 * 0.036 " to the ID of the internal thread. 0.036 = 1/24TPI * Cos(30)

Cheers
Stew

Stew

Do you realize that in maybe 100 years when some future member or MadModder or other forum member comes across this piece of equipment and has to make a new part what this will do to him? :lol: :lol: :lol:

He will say to himself, I'll just go to my scrap bin and get a piece of metal and turn up a new piece and single point a thread and it will be just like when that great machinest made it a 100 years ago. :doh: :doh:

Now as he sits down with his calipers and other measuring tools to make a crap-o-cad drawing everything proceeds fine, until he measures the thread. He looks it up in his metric thread charts and can't find it. Ok, I'll just look in this old Machinest hand book from my Great Great Grandfather, probably be something in there. Nope, lots of threads of all diferent kinds that come close but nothing the same. Ok, I'll post this on the New MadModder forum. Someone there will surley know something about it. :mmr:

As the sun slowly sets in the west he can be seen sitting outside under a man made shade tree slowly pulling out the last of the grey hairs that he has left.  :(

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »
Don

We could start a new thread standard we could call it Universal MadModder (UMM) with a 60 deg or 55 deg thread form any pitch you want and any Major Diameter you want and any fit you want 

:mmr:

:lol:  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Stew

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 04:15:23 AM »
Great going Stew  :clap: :clap: :clap:

I like your idea of UMM  :lol:  :lol: - could make life interesting for copy-cats  :lol: :lol: :lol:

:beer: Arnold

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 05:09:31 AM »
Great going Stew  :clap: :clap: :clap:

I like your idea of UMM  :lol:  :lol: - could make life interesting for copy-cats  :lol: :lol: :lol:

:beer: Arnold

They'd certainly be doing a lot of UMM-ing  :scratch:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 11:11:08 AM »
OK Chaps now for the spindle this bits is quite long 18 cm or 7 " in old money, Most of my bar ends are shorter than this but then I remember I had 3 ' of 32mm dia free cutting tucked away behind the lathe.

First job was to hack saw off a good 7" length, then as I was going to turn it up between centres I needed to put a good deep centre drill in each end for this the bar was sticking out an uncomfortable long way. Took it steady not to fast a speed,  :thumbup: but didn't try facing it off that would have been desaster, I'll just have to live with the cut face.

Working between centres for long jobs as a number of advantages not least you can take the job from between the centres turn it round and everything will still be concentric.

To set up for turning between centres you need a fixed centre in your head stock and a driving dog,

you can use your chuck simply turn a centre on a bit of steel and use the chuck jaws as the driving dog

And you need a carrier on your work this is my collection, picked up from scrappies

First cut

After the first cut mic the work up and check for taper if you've got a taper you can adjust this out by moving your tail stop over:- if is low the tail stop needs moving away from you if its big move it towards you.

The tail stock has two adjusting screws one each side, you simply unlock slacken of the clamp bolts (not the one that clamps it to the slide) and adjust the screws together screw one in screw the other out this slews it over, I do mine with two screw drivers, some have bolts.

These are the clamp bolts on my lathe with a graduation so you can keep track of how much you move it, I put an additional two marks on mine showed where it cuts parallel, for easy setting.

Once I got it parallel I got it to 0.1 over 15 cm length which is good, I turned the large diameter to size, swapped the carrier around so that I could machine the other end then roughed everything out to withing 0.5 mm.

Then as one of the bearings need to slide over the middle section I turned this under size, then very carefully turned the bearing location to a nice shake free fit on the bearing.

And this is it in the bearing housing everything lined up exactly.

Then back in the lathe and screw cut the thread for M12

This is the nearly finished spindle at this point I called it a day Gasping for a cuppa.

Next job cut the key way.

Have fun

Stew

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
Looking good stew  :bow:, I know the theory but have never tried turning between centres before. I don't have a catch plate although I guess I could either use the chuck as you said as I have plenty of length between centres, or unbolt the chuck and do what you have done. I don't really like disturbing that although it will go back in in the same place, It's just I made the register quite a tight fit though. Not sure if I have any carriers any more either.

So do you have anything in particular you're going to be using this spindle for?

Nick

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »

So do you have anything in particular you're going to be using this spindle for?

Nick

I'm going to use it for a tool post grinder and if all goes to plan a home brewed cutter grinder and if that works I want to use it to make a gear cutting fly cutter and if that works a clock

I think it all started when I swallowed  a fly  :lol:

Tools make tools that make more tools that make things

Cheers

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »
Very nice Stew, I want to go out and switch my lathe on now....... :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 12:12:48 PM »
Stew, when you get a moment can you show us you digi on the lathe. Did it have to be upside down?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 12:18:48 PM »
Hi Darren

This is it

Looking at it I suppose I could have had it further away, I was a bit concerned about protecting it from swarf etc. I'm not going to have it in place all the time, just when I need it when screw cutting.

Cheers

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 01:42:54 PM »
Hey Stew,

I've just got to ask. When you got closer to the driving dog with the coolant, did you get your face sprayed?  :lol:

Bernd

P.S. Nice thread by the way.
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »
Hey Stew,

I've just got to ask. When you got closer to the driving dog with the coolant, did you get your face sprayed?  :lol:

Bernd

P.S. Nice thread by the way.

Yes   :doh:

Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 11:32:51 AM »
Ok on the home run now Chaps

Next job cut the key way

Mark where its to go

Find centre of bar and with a 3mm slot drill mill the key way

And mill up and fit brass key

Thats the shaft done next job the spacers that go between the bearings.  There's two spacer 30mm ish long each

Simple turning and drilling job both spacer turned up first before adjusting length

You have to adjust the length of the spacers so that the length of the two together equals the distance between the bearing plus a little bit to tighten down onto.

So put one bearing and spacer into the housing and carefully measure the depth to the spacer, then measure the depth  to the bottom of the bearing pocket take one from the other and that the length to make the other spacer put the spacer back into the lathe using a back stop, I simply put a parallel behind while the chuck was pinched up the removed the parallel, faced some off took it out of chuck measured it up put it back in chuck up against the parallel, removed the parallel and took a little bit more off to give desired size.

I thinned down a couple of M12 nuts to give me some lock nuts

Now for the pulley this is made out of a bit of 2 " Ally  simple turning job

To cut the Key way in the pulley I made a small 3mm wide shaping tool that was held side ways on in one of my boring bars, to get the tool on centre I measured the centre hight off my lathe setting tool added 1.5mm to this height and that became the height to set the tool.

Setting the tool on height

It was then a mater of winding the saddle back and two and nibble out the key way

Thats all the bits nearly made I can't finish it off until I settle on the motor and grinding wheel fixing which I'll post as part of my Tool Post Grinder build.

These are all the bits

And the assy

Have fun

Stew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »
That's looking really good Stew....really good....nice keyways too.... :clap:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 12:27:23 PM »
Great stuff Stew well done  :bow:

bogstandard

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »
Lookin' good Stew.

What you need now is to bring the motor over so we can find out what speed it is running at, then you can calculate out the internal and external grinding pulley sizes.

Please call first.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »
Thanks John  :thumbup:

Got the sewing machine motor but Dave (bluechip) has a motor that I think will do a better job, I'll be nipping over to his place next week to pick it up. I'll let you know when etc later in the week.

I'm thinking of making a spindle to go with the sewing machine motor for Dremel tooling.

Cheers

Stew

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »
Very nice tutorial Stew  :thumbup: - Thank You ! :clap: :clap:
:beer:, Arnold

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
Good thread Stew, thanks  :thumbup:

CC

Offline Maninshed

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »
Crackin job, you make it look so easy, as everyone seems to say on this site a picture is worth a thousand words. :bow:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 04:16:56 PM »
Great job on that spindle Stew. Your makin it look so easy. Thanks for showing it.  :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »
Thanks Chaps

Have fun

Stew

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2009, 07:23:16 AM »
Looking good :clap:

look forward to seeing it in action as a tool post grinder!

Chris