Author Topic: Old To New  (Read 4870 times)

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
Old To New
« on: September 15, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »
Hi All

I have just returned to metal murdering after a bit of a rest, reading through the posts metal specifications are described by strange alien numbers as i was brought up with the the old system of EN*** i am a little bit lost as to thier meaning.I would be grateful if i could get an equivalents chart to help me out of this confusion.Meanwhile i am enjoying reading the posts as there are a lot of them that bring back memories and lessons learnt. enuff waffle for now.

Cheers Paul  :doh: 
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Old To New
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »

Skiprat

This gives a quickie overview of some common En steels, classification is obsolete, but, in my case, old dogs/new tricks etc.

Far from comprehensive .. if you have a known En steel eg EN58BM just search it, you'll get an answer somewhere.

I've never been a mechanical engineer professionally, but when I first fooled about with a lathe for bike bits, En was it, so it's all I know.
And know precious little at that.  :scratch:

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Matter/Strength_st.htm

Dave BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
Re: Old To New
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
Thanks Dave

I  shall say i am now enlightened ! like you i remember the old numbers EN1 EN3 EN8 EN16 EN24 the higher the number the tougher the steel . Interesting fact that i was taught that this system was introduced during the war hence the Emergency Numbers and the number increased acording to the tensile strength and the carbon content of the steel so the right material could be selected for the purpose it was intended hope i am not boring everyone .

Cheers Paul   :beer:
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW