Author Topic: Time to visit your local scrap yard  (Read 19126 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Time to visit your local scrap yard
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 01:25:19 PM »
Having drawn a blank at just about every scrap yard I can find in my area and beyond it was looking a bit desperate ..

Then Helen suggested to me we try the "skips" You know the ones, you hire a skip, they drop it on your property for you to fill with all your rubbish etc.

There are two firms local to us, first one didn't have anything but suggested I call once a month and they could put bits to one side.

The second one was a winner ... I came away with 3.5ft of 2" round bar and 4.5ft of 2" square and some scraps of 1/2" plate ... all steel.

These were what they could just quickly pick up and toss in my car. I was told to come back in two weeks and they would sort some more stuff for me .... real friendly chap too  :)

Nice to finally find something with a bit of meat on it !!

So there's another type of place you could try ....  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
Re: Time to visit your local scrap yard
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 10:37:34 AM »
I'm about to start trying to source some materials so will be ringing round the local scrapyards but they do appear to be very few and far between round here - anyone know of any scrappies in the Surrey area that are drop-in friendly ?   I promise to not clear them out or rob them of all the good stuff :)  

Alternatively any recommendations for a localish supplier that I can drop into for new stuff

Thanks

Jim
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 10:41:51 AM by JimM »