Author Topic: Cedge's Victorian Finally becomes a Hit and Miss Engine  (Read 10586 times)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
Cedge's Victorian Finally becomes a Hit and Miss Engine
« on: September 26, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »
For those who loyally followed the recent Victorian project, you'll recall the engine was originally designed to function as a hit and miss engine. Up until now, I've been running it only as a conventional gas engine in order to season it in and get things loosened up enough to run the little fellow reliably.

Since I originally stated that it would eventually run as as a Hit and Miss, I began tinkering with that aspect this week. After all.... it ain't really finished until it runs like it was designed to run. To my surprise,especially after all the shenanigans this little engine has thrown my way, the darned thing settled into its new role with next to no resistance. Even my wild ass guess at the governor spring length and tension was very close to where it needed to be.

Some more experimentation is due, but I'm told it isn't unusual to still be tweaking these little IC engines quite a while after they are "finished". I'm sure that will be the case with mine as well.

As it stand now, it will hit and then miss as many as 3 revolutions before hitting again. It usually hits once, although it has hit up to 3 times to get things back up to speed. I'm actually happy with that, even as I look for ways to extend the miss cycle a bit. I'll be adding a lock out so that I switch between hit and miss and conventional running. I really do like the way it sounds in conventional mode.

Anyhow..... here is the video of the little engine doing the hit and miss thing.

Steve

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Cedge's Victorian Finally becomes a Hit and Miss Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:33:49 AM »
Steve

Very nice. You have got that thing purring like a kitten. Just what you wanted. You can be proud of that baby. :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 01:40:05 AM »
Spot   spot   spot  er  er  on  on.

In all honesty Steve, I now think the sound matches it's looks, I personally prefer it this way.

Luverly job

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:20:35 AM »
It really knocks out a dance tune Steve, very nice  :thumbup:

I wonderful bit of work

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 04:36:18 AM »
Steve you have truly created a master there, I think anyone would be proud...well done....sounds sweet... :bow:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 05:07:14 AM »
Brilliant job Steve  :thumbup:

CC

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 08:49:25 AM »
it sounds like its running ruff to me .............almost like it has a miss every now and then  :bugeye: :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

steve that is one very nice looking and running engine  :thumbup: :clap:

now that you have built it, are the plans good or was there some errors or things that should be done diffrent ??

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words.

Chuck...
I stuck to the plans where critical measurements and dimensions were required and everything was spot on. The rest of the changes made still used his basic functionality, even if they look a bit different in the end. Duclos was somewhat frugal with information, giving you only as much as it takes to accomplish the task, but no more. That being said, the plans are quite accurate and pretty easy to follow.

Gentlemen....
This thread brings the Duclos/Cedge Victorian engine project to its official end. It's been a fascinating project with lots of interesting twists and turns. At times its been frustrating and the little engine has thrown me a few curves as I learned the ins and outs of an IC engine build. Yet, I'd do it again and I probably will tackle another one in the future. I'll be happy to entertain questions from those who decide to give this engine a try. I might not have all the answers, but then the little engine probably hasn't played its last trick.... of that I'm quite sure....LOL

Steve

Offline shoey51

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »
finally found my way back here and Im glad to see it running
such a lovely engine :thumbup: :clap:

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »
Shoey51
Thank you for the kind words and welcome back. I got the chance to show the machine at a couple of local venues last fall and it was quite well received. It was a project that taught me an awful lot of neat and useful things.

Steve

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »
Steve,
I followed the build of your engine and think it is one of the most attractive looking engines I've seen. The personal touches you put into the build give it some real class. The way it runs just adds icing to the cake.
gbritnell

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »
Dunno how I missed this video. Fantastic job Steve!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »
George,
A compliment like that coming from one with a level of talent such as you possess is an ego bump of the first order. I'm humbled, sir. Thank you for the encouragement.

Eric....
We're gonna have to do a little work on that attention span.....LOL

Steve

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »

Eric....
We're gonna have to do a little work on that attention span.....LOL

Steve

Hey Steve!

Don`t pick on Eric like that!

I`ve only just found it, today......... Ooops!  ::)

Crackin` little vid. Fabulous looking, running, sounding, engine!  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 12:08:27 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words.

Chuck...
I stuck to the plans where critical measurements and dimensions were required and everything was spot on. The rest of the changes made still used his basic functionality, even if they look a bit different in the end. Duclos was somewhat frugal with information, giving you only as much as it takes to accomplish the task, but no more. That being said, the plans are quite accurate and pretty easy to follow.

Gentlemen....
This thread brings the Duclos/Cedge Victorian engine project to its official end. It's been a fascinating project with lots of interesting twists and turns. At times its been frustrating and the little engine has thrown me a few curves as I learned the ins and outs of an IC engine build. Yet, I'd do it again and I probably will tackle another one in the future. I'll be happy to entertain questions from those who decide to give this engine a try. I might not have all the answers, but then the little engine probably hasn't played its last trick.... of that I'm quite sure....LOL

Steve
Hi Cedge, watching the video today is the first I've seen of your engine, can you tell me where your build log is?  The engine looks and sounds very interesting, and I'd like to see what you went through, I've long wanted to build a hit n miss engine, just haven't got to that project yet.  Watching it run, and hearing it is awesome.  mad jack

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 12:12:09 AM »
Mad Jack
Here ya go.... grab some coffee and put your feet up.... your gonna be here a while....(grin)

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=1110.0

Steve