Author Topic: Adventures in metal spinning \o/  (Read 16377 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Adventures in metal spinning \o/
« on: November 08, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »
I've decided that I need to learn hot to spin metal. I'm getting set up to spin some pieces for a project I've been working on.

The first thing I decided to work on were a couple of tools. They will be used to push the metal to the form on the lathe.

The handles were table legs. I turned the 1" shaft to the desired shape then used a hand grinder to finish it off. Then the ends were polished so they won't galled the parts I need to make.

I tried a couple of small pieces with the pattern being held in my 3-Jaw chuck. Not enough room. I decided that I needed to make a threaded adapter. The spindle on my lathe has an oddball thread. It's a 2 1/8" - 5 thread. I need about a 1" - 8 thread for my patterns to thread onto. First I'll need to thread my adapter to fit my lathe. Here is my setup.

Here is the adapter after a couple of passes.

I made a short video of the threading. Here is one of about 50 passes. This is a big thread!!!

Right after this my battery went dead. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR I'll get more up later.

Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
Re: Adventures in metal spinning \o/
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
I've been building all the parts for my steady rest out of pieces from the scrap bin. I had all the pieces done they just needed welded together. I had a chance to get that done today. I love TIG welding :nrocks:

Now I just need to finish up my spindle nose adapter.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »
Powder Keg

Ok, I'm settled in and ready to watch the progress.  :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
Kettle's on  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:36:24 PM »
Buttering a fresh batch of popcorn as I type. 

Steve

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »
Hey Steve, Hows things?

I started on the second piece of the adapter. I turned down the OD and faced it off. I then machined a pilot into the end of it. The large threaded piece will have the OD machined while on the spindle of my lathe. Then this piece will bolt to that.

While it was in my lathe, I blued it and scribed a bolt circle on it with a threading tool.

Now I need to remove my chuck and finish machining the large threaded piece that I started earlier.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 11:07:40 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
Hey Wes  :wave:

Good to see you back  :dremel:

Looking forward to seeing how this thread develops.... Might help me out a lot!  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
Wes
Things have been a lot more fun around here. With a couple of projects under my belt, I'm feeling on top of most of it these days.

Glad to see you bobbing back to the top and rejoining us. Hope everything out your way is far better than before. I'm interested to see where you take the spinning thing. I've been tempted but not enough to jump in without a bit of visual information. Books are great, but seeing will help things along much better.

Steve

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:49 PM »
It's good to be back :beer:

Tonight I turned the adapter down till the nose piece just taped on. I'll lay out the holes and drill and tap them now. Then I can finish this part up :headbang: At that point. I'll need to start making a couple of patterns to spin the metal against. I need to order some aluminum to practice on.

Later, Wes
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 04:53:17 PM »
I need to order some aluminum to practice on.

Later, Wes

I'd send you the aluminum I have, but somebody special made this for me so your just gonna' have to break down and get your own aluminum.  :lol:

Welcome back Wes.

I hold this up to the wife everytime she asks when I'm going to do a project. I think I'm going to get a chain and put it around my neck.  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
I machined a little key on the outside of the big nut that I made.

This will let me remove the piece from the spindle of my lathe. A spanner wrench fits nicely.

I'll try and get the holes drilled and tapped so I can finish these two parts tonight.
Wesley P

Offline Krown Kustoms

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 08:47:43 AM »
It didnt look that big until I saw the spanner.

-by the way, you have swarf in your switch box in the wall-
that could lead to bad things
a 22 cent cover plate could save you some money in the long run.
-B-
-B-

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 11:39:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Krown Kustoms :headbang: I fixed that on Saturday. No need for me to have any more troubles than necessary.  :zap:

I've had a cold the last few days so progress has slowed a little :coffee: It's looking up now though :ddb: I drilled and tapped and counter bored all the holes in my spindle adapter tonight. I installed it onto my lathes spindle and relieved the end a little.

Now I need to finish the OD and thread the end. I'll try and get that done tomorrow :poke:

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 03:11:40 PM »
I threaded the spindle nose adapter
. Now I'm ready to start playing. (Almost) I need to make up a few patterns to spin my metal onto. I'll start cutting stuff out today.

Stay tuned :D
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
Looking good Wes  :thumbup:

I'm getting quite excited to see how this all turns out   :D

Waiting in anticipation of the next batch of pic's    :ddb:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »
Thanks Ralph. I started on the pieces for my patterns today. I still need to get some pictures of that. They will take a bit to build. They need glued together. Then drilled and tapped. Then a bit of machine work. Then more glue and machine work. Then I'll be in business!!! :ddb: :nrocks: :ddb:
Wesley P

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 01:24:58 PM »
Lookin' Good!

The spin shops I have been around all use a thread plate that is centered and screwed to the back of the form block.

Once the raw form block is glued up, the thread adapter is centered and attached and the wood turning is done so the form runs concentric to the adapter.  The nice thing is that the adapters can be removed from one chuck and remounted on another, lessening the number of adapters needed to maintain an inventory of chucks.  Indexing and marking the adapter plates allow for reusing them on the same forms with repeatability. 

Spinning a Baby Cup on the Lathe
http://www.gibsonpewter.com/blog/videos/

Same shop that made the baby cup are making this onion shaped milk jug.

This is how the chuck works,

The chuck shown is the fine quality craftsmanship of cabinets2inlay AKA Wm. Thomas

Just one more photo of the entire service

A true collaboration of two master craftsmen!
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
Love love love metal spinning. Just have been able to give it a go yet. Maybe this summer!

Watching this thread

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »
Something I have always wanted to try was metal spinning. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »
I just about have all the stuff ready to go. I started cleaning my shop and that has taken over as my "project" for the moment. I think it will pay off though. I already have more room to work. Before I didn't.

Stay tuned :nrocks:
Wesley P