Author Topic: How do I get the old oil out of the headstock?  (Read 16068 times)

Offline tinkerer

Re: How do I get the old oil out of the headstock?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 04:59:45 PM »
According to the pictures, the clutch pack is staying compressed. If it was stored engaged, they may be stuck together. You may try to gently pry them apart. I had a corvette clutch seize to the flywheel after setting for a couple of months. It was a bear to seperate.
Tink

The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul.
Prov 13:19

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 05:20:47 PM »
I doubt it's from underneath as it needs to accessible for assembly. Just a hunch.

The clutch seems to be two serrated plates pressed together for engaged. They should come apart to dis-engage.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the bolt you found?

Hmmm - if one grub can come undone from a gear, it's possible another one could, from a gear which is not accessible with the 'box assembled. Short of dismantling the whole headstock gearbox, I'm not sure how to verify this.

As for the clutch; the serrated plates were my first idea, but I think that's a safety device in case the spindle locks up. The set of disks to the left of the serrated disks are, as tinkerer says, a clutch pack.

According to the pictures, the clutch pack is staying compressed. If it was stored engaged, they may be stuck together. You may try to gently pry them apart. I had a corvette clutch seize to the flywheel after setting for a couple of months. It was a bear to seperate.

I did wonder about that; however, in the higher gears in particular, the clutch appears to operate properly - albeit not terribly efficiently. I suspect that it requires an adjustment to be further disengaged, but I'm not sure how to do that. I will have to stump up the £45 to buy the manual, I think.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks as if those serrated disks may be the adjustment, rotate one against the other to adjust.

As regards the two screws, it's common to fit two into one hole, top one to lock the bottom one.
Can't help with a manual as i never had one for mine but LA Services has one for £19.50.

http://www.theengineersemporium.co.uk/manuals/manualse.html

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
Regarding those grub screws,  the mangled one might look mangled because it came loose and got chomped by a couple of cogs but if it looks like it was mangled by a tool tightening or loosening the screw that could mean it got mangled during a repair job and got dropped into the bottom of the box in which case you will never find where it came from because they put a new grub screw in its place.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 06:28:59 PM »

Can't help with a manual as i never had one for mine but LA Services has one for £19.50.

http://www.theengineersemporium.co.uk/manuals/manualse.html

Thanks for the link John - unfortunately, that's for the Mk2 lathe; there's obviously a fair number of similarities, but - it's becoming clear that I'm going to have to do a full rebuild & refurb on this lathe; and I need to know how to pull it all to pieces to do that. Oh, and put it back together again :)

Regarding those grub screws,  the mangled one might look mangled because it came loose and got chomped by a couple of cogs but if it looks like it was mangled by a tool tightening or loosening the screw that could mean it got mangled during a repair job and got dropped into the bottom of the box in which case you will never find where it came from because they put a new grub screw in its place.

I'm not sure where the mangled one's gone (it's on the bench somewhere), but it looked like it had been eaten by a giant metal rat... so I'm assuming (with the appropriate caveats) that it's responsible for damaging the gears. As to whether it belongs & has been replaced; I've no idea. See above, I think at some point I'm going to have to dismantle the whole headstock & refurb & rebuild it. But TBH, I'm not sure I'm ready for that project yet...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »

I'm not sure where the mangled one's gone (it's on the bench somewhere), but it looked like it had been eaten by a giant metal rat... so I'm assuming (with the appropriate caveats) that it's responsible for damaging the gears.

I rather carelessly dropped a little screw into my apron gear box and were it not for the certain knowledge it was in there I would never have found it as I drained and flushed and peered with no sign of it, then I took the apron gear box off and gave it a shake to find the little rascal.  I suppose it was rather fortunate as while on that task I found the grub screw that hold the cross feed pinion was loose and ready to follow the example of yours.. ::)
From the den of The Artful Bodger